Parental controls on the PS4 are handled by having a Master Account (the standard PSN account) and linked Sub Accounts, that fall within the control and security of the Master Account. These Sub Accounts get their own PSN IDs, trophy lists, game purchases, etc. but the Master Account can control the funding of their PSN wallet and other monitoring of the Sub Account.
Everyone under 18 is supposed to have a Sub Account under a responsible adult’s Master Account (though let’s be real, we know that doesn’t always happen). Once those Sub Account holders turn 18 though, they probably want full control of their own account without losing their PSN ID, trophies, and library of games. This week’s Help Desk is going to show you how to upgrade a Sub Account to a full Master Account, but before we get into that, let’s understand the key differences between Sub and Master Accounts.
The following comparisons are directly from Sony on the differences between Sub and Master Accounts.
- Master Accounts are the standard account used on the PlayStation Network.
- Master Accounts can be created by registered users of the PlayStation Network that are 18 year old or older.
- Master Account holders can adjust parental control settings such as monthly spending limits or restrictions on voice/video chat for associated Sub Accounts.
- Master Accounts can have a total of six Sub Accounts associated with it simultaneously.
- Sub Accounts must be created for users under 18 years old and in association with a Master Account.
- Some sub account activities can be monitored by the associated Master Account holder.
- Sub Account holders cannot create wallets but can make use of the associated Master Account’s wallet to pay for products and services.
- The settings of a Sub Account are initially set up when the Sub Account is created and later edited by the associated Master Account.
- Once a Sub Account holder becomes 18, you can graduate to a Master Account.
Upgrading From Sub to Master
So you’re 18 now and want control of your own PSN account? Here’s how to easily upgrade to a Master Account on your PS4:
- If you are logging in to a brand new PS4, and the input age of the Sub Account indicates the account holder is over 18, you will be automatically prompted to upgrade.
- If you are logging into a Sub Account on an existing PS4, you must go to [Settings] > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Upgrade Your Account].
- Press [Continue]. Note that you cannot revert to a Sub Account once it has been upgraded to a Master Account.
- Press [Accept] on the End User License Agreement. If you do not accept, you will not be allowed to upgrade.
- You’re done! The PS4 will prompt you to sign out and sign back in to confirm your new Master Account settings.
Things to Note
You will keep your PSN ID, friends list, trophies, and game library when you upgrade. This also applies to media and services that were purchased or subscribed to by the Sub Account. You are not required to upgrade a Sub Account to Master when the account holder turns 18. This process can be delayed. Both the email on the original Sub Account, and the corresponding Master account will receive notification when a Sub Account is upgraded.
PSLS Help Desk - How to Upgrade PSN Sub Account to Master Account