WWE 2K18 Career Mode Is Fully Revamped, Features a Story
2K and Yuke’s have detailed WWE 2K18‘s career mode, and it looks to be a huge improvement upon previous years. This year players will be able to roam backstage, get into more in-depth storylines, and more.
In total, there are four main things that set WWE 2K18‘s career mode apart from previous years:
- Story and Progression – Players will have two different paths that they can take during their career mode. Players will be able to be either a company man that helps their brand’s general manager, or they can become a fan favorite that is more concerned with putting on great matches than politics.
- Free-Roaming Backstage – The story will play outside of just the ring, and players will be able to roam around the locker room. They can find their rivals backstage, talk to WWE legends, and cut interviews.
- Updated Promos – The promo system has been revamped with 200 new animations. 2K says that last year’s system was “very rigid” and that the new system focuses on “promo cohesion.”
- MyCareer Invasion – Similar to previous years, characters made by friends will be able to invade your career mode.
Here’s how 2K explains the new story focus:
In WWE 2K18, we wanted MyCAREER to focus on a strong story narrative. We felt the addition of backstage could afford us some cool new ways to experience a day in the life of a WWE Superstar. For us to accomplish this, we needed to develop unique and compelling storylines that are no longer shared from Universe Mode so the journeys that MyPLAYERs go through are unique and fresh.
This year, you’ll have two very different paths you can take en route to your own WrestleMania moment (note: you will be able to play past that WrestleMania moment; your story won’t end there). Here are the two paths:
- Company Man – Going down the Company Man path means you’re all about helping the general managers (GMs) get what they want out of the roster on any given show. This involves conspiring with the GMs backstage, ambushing other WWE Superstars in the locker room or during their interviews and basically doing whatever it takes to maintain that GM’s power, both in the ring and backstage. The rewards are hefty, though! Continue helping the GM succeed, and you’ll gain access to awesome upgrades, such as the ability to orchestrate a run-in to help you win a match. You can also access Vince McMahon’s office to lobby for match card changes and title rematches.
- Fan Favorite – Being a Fan Favorite means you don’t play the whole company game and you’re all about putting on the best matches and promos. You have a locker room full of WWE Superstars and Legends backstage. This route involves earning their respect by taking on different match types – night-in and night-out. You’ll also have WWE Superstars test your in-ring aptitude and skills on the microphone, but if you succeed at this, you will earn the whole locker room’s respect – and with that comes some perks. WWE Legends are always backstage during events. If you earn their respect, they’ll start to give you in-ring bonuses for your matches and promos. If you become the complete package – the guy who can walk the walk and talk the talk like Stone Cold Steve Austin or John Cena – you’ll be able to have your own customized WWE Championship or Universal Championship. This honor is only given to the best of the best.
In short, it’s ultimately your choice how your MyPLAYER’s road to WrestleMania will unfold. We definitely put a bunch of twists and turns to make it feel like it’s your own story, and we hope you’ll be surprised by a few of the WWE Superstars and events that will pop up along the way!
WWE 2K18 releases on October 17 for PS4 and Xbox One (the Nintendo Switch version arrives in fall 2017). Pre-ordering gets you early access on October 13, and there’s a Collector’s Edition celebrating John Cena’s career.