Epic Games has announced that In-Game tournaments will begin this week in an attempt to further integrate Fortnite into esports. The announcement comes just behind Epic Game’s recent anti-cheating implementation, a necessity when high-stakes prizes are involved. They’re open to everyone, and will require all players to opt-in for cross-play to participate in competitive events. You’ll be able to find and enter these tournaments in the “Events” section of Fortnite Battle Royale.
All players participating will start off with a clean slate. That means that all players will begin with the same score and compete for several hours to earn as many points as possible. Points are earned by attaining high placements or eliminating multiple opponents.
Epic Games stresses that players from all platforms will participate in the competition “as equals.” Whether you’re on a mouse, a controller, or a touch input device, you’ll each have the chance to best one another to rise to the top. You can read more about the tournament on Epic Game’s site, and the tournament schedules, below:
On release, the following tournaments will be scheduled in NA, EU, BR, ASIA, and OCE regions. Scheduled times will vary by region – check the tournament inside the client for details.
- Alpha Tournament (Solo)
- Dates: October 16 – October 21
- Description: Participate in the first in-game tournament, spanning across several days of daily competition!
- Beta Tournament (Duo)
- Dates: October 23 – October 25
- Description: Grab a friend and take on the world – until you are the last two left.
- Friday Night Fortnite (Squad)
- Dates: October 19 – November 30
- Description: Join your friends every Friday and kick off your weekend with some exciting Squad action.
- Salty Springs Cup (Solo)
- Dates: October 27 – October 31
- Description: One week and three attempts to prove you’re the saltiest that Salty Springs has to offer.
- Tomato Temple Cup (Duo)
- Dates: October 28 – November 1
- Description: Become legends of the Tomato Temple Cup.
Epic Games plans to release information about incoming tournaments soon, hoping to establish tournaments for players of all talent levels. If you think you have what it takes, I’d advise you to watch what some of Fortnite‘s players are capable of. Let us know if you’re not deterred in the comments.
Fortnite In Game Tournaments Are Beginning This Week
[Source: Epic Games]