PlayStation App Releases on November 12th in North America and November 22nd in Europe
The PlayStation App, an app that will be available for various mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and Android based smartphones and tablets), will be releasing free of charge a few days before the PS4 launch on November 15th/29th.
In North America, you can expect to see the PlayStation App on November 12th, while those of you in Europe will be able to grab it on November 22nd.
Once downloaded and installed, here’s what you can expect from the PlayStation App:
Directly Access Various PSN Features and Information
- You can access your profile screen.
- You can access/compare their own and friends’ Trophy accomplishments.
- Exchange messages between PS4 systems, PS3 systems, PS Vita systems, and mobile devices installed with PlayStation App.
- Access and filter friend profiles.
- Notify users about their friends’ shared activities on “What’s New”.
- Notify PS4 users when they receive any new notifications or game invitations. Users can also display their lists of game items.
Browse the PlayStation Website and Access Info
- You can access the PlayStation official website to browse through news, blogs and game information. The language and content depends on your country.
PS4 Second Screen Feature
- The PlayStation App can be used with PS4 games that support second screen functions.
- For example on The PlayRoom, a title pre-installed on all PS4s (requires PlayStation Camera), you can draw pictures on your mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.
Spectate Other PS4 Users’ Gameplay
- When your friends upload or begin live streaming their gameplay on PS4 systems, the friends’ activities are displayed on “What’s New” of the PlayStation App screen. When you tap on this notification, you can boot pre-installed applications, such as browsers, to spectate the uploaded gameplay. Users can also post comments on gameplay screenshots, footage and live streams.
Purchase Game Content on PlayStation Store
- You can purchase game content while away from home and download it directly onto their PS4, PS3, and PS Vita (PS+required for PS Vita) systems.
Use a Mobile Device as a Simple Remote to Control the PS4 System
- Once installed, you can use your PlayStation App to control the PS4 as long as both devices have access to the same Wi-Fi access point. For example, you can switch your PS4 system to standby mode, startup your PS4 system from standby mode, and use your mobile phone as a keyboard for their PS4 system.
Sony also promises that they will continue to “enrich services and features” of the PS4 to “further expand the PlayStation ecosystem.”
Are you going to be downloading the PlayStation App next month? Let us know in the comments below.