Hop on your PlayStation 3 now and start downloading the latest firmware update as Sony’s hotly anticipated latest PlayStation 3 firmware, version 3.40 – which brings in a slew of recently detailed features, including the eagerly awaited PlayStation Plus service – is now live.
Weighing in at about 167mb, the 3.40 firmware brings a plethora of exciting features. The full list of features are as follows:
- PlayStation®Plus: A new subscription service package on PlayStation®Network, PlayStation Plus offers gamers exclusive services and content on June 29, 2010, worldwide. PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership* to PlayStation Plus, providing members with new options to enhance their gaming experience and enable them to gain a special set of features and content. All PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to its unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive content, services and community focused tools – including online game play – while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of evolving features, content and functionality.
- Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows PS3 users to upload, browse and comment on photos on sites such as Facebook and Picasa Web Album. PS3 users can also opt to share their photos between their PlayStation Network friends.
- Video Editor & Uploader (44MB): Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables users to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.*
- Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
- Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at two hours, providing users with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system
- Additional Facebook Enhancements: In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application will be made available on Facebook Platform. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to share purchases from the PlayStation Store. Users can further integrate their PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows them to display their PlayStation Network profile on Facebook, find out which of their Facebook friends have a PlayStation Network account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view the PlayStation Network friends’ online status, and add the PlayStation Network application tab on their Facebook Profile. More information will be available at: http://apps.facebook.com/playstation/.
- Friends List Enhancements: Gamer’s trophy levels are now shown at the top right of their friends list box.
We’re hard at work searching for additional features and will update you as they are discovered.
Will you be purchasing the hugely enticing PlayStation Plus service, and how happy are you with this appealing firmware update? Let us know via the comments section below.