Even though The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim was only released one month ago, it is already the most played game in the entire year of 2011. It beat the likes of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 and Fifa 12. The study that determined Skyrim‘s success was done by Raptr, a stat-tracking service.
Raptr tracks the activities of each game to formulate data that would be used to “award” games at the end of the year. The company tracks activities such as individual and total playtime. Raptr’s fully detailed report can be seen here.
The winners of the “most played games” are the following:
- Most Played Shooter: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Most Played RPG : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Most Played Open-World Game: Batman: Arkham City
- Most Played Sports Game: FIFA Soccer 12
- Most Played Social Game: The Sims Social
- Most Played New IP: L.A. Noire
- Most Played Game : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Most Successful Paid to Free-to-Play Game: DC Universe Online
A special note for DC Universe Online which received an increase of 2500% in total playtime per day after it switched to free-to-play model.