After revealing quite a bit of interesting information about the upgrades to racing gameplay in ModNation Racers: Road Trip, SCE San Diego Studio has now revealed details about the weapons system in the Vita installment of the ModNation Racers series. Also, the title now appears to be a launch title for the PlayStation Vita.
ModNation Racers: Road Trip has seven classes of weapons: Earth, Fire, Ice, Mines, Bolt, Guns, and Sonic. Each weapon class is distinguished by a specific color: Earth – Dark Green, Fire – Orange, Ice – Light Blue, Mines – Yellow, Bolt – Pink, Guns – Red, Sonic – Dark Blue, and Supercharger – Light Green. When a weapon is picked up, all weapon pods collected from that point on will stay the same color until used.
In addition to seven weapon classes, there are six different types of weapons.
- Track-based weapons: Level 3 weapons which attack enemies all over the track, unleashing devastation on foes that can even hurt your racer.
- Spray weapons: Projectile-based weapons that offer users the option of firing all projectiles at one racer or spray to try to hit multiple opponents.
- Roaming/Near weapons: Weapons that freely roam quickly down the track without lock-on.
- Drivable weapons: Weapons that can be driven by players to attack opponents.
- Lock-on weapons: Weapons that lock on. For opponents being attacked by lock-on weapons, in addition to audio cues, opponents will also see visual “lock-on” reticule so that they can better plan to activate their shields.
- Mines: The only weapon that can be dropped behind you in the game.
In MNR:RT, weapons can no longer be dropped. Instead, weapons that players don’t want — even up to Level 3 — can be “cashed in” for boost by pressing the weapon icon on the touch screen or holding down the fire button.
Also, MNR:RT introduces the “Amnesty Shield,” which is automatically activated when you fire a weapon and an opponent fires the same weapon at/towards you.
To see screenshots of the weapons system for MNR: RT in action, please check out the screenshots below:
Mark Wilson, Community Manager at SCE San Diego Studio, was asked by a user if MNR:RT was going to be a US Vita launch title, after it was already confirmed to be a launch title for Europe. He replied:
Yep! Sure is! 🙂
ModNation Racers: Road Trip is in development for PlayStation Vita and now seems to be a launch title for the handheld, which releases in North America and Europe on February 22, 2012.