Information on Respawn Entertainment’s highly anticipated shooter, now named TitanFall, has leaked online today when a digital copy of next month’s Game Informer accidentally released early and was posted on a NeoGAF forum.
Being one of the major franchises that was rumored to be a Microsoft exclusive, this news reaffirms the speculation as a source on NeoGAF says that TitanFall will be a one year timed exclusive for the Xbox One and PC (360 version in development by another studio) when it releases in spring of 2014. According to the the Game Informer article and the post, Respawn decided to focus on a single platform as it would prove to be difficult to spread development across multiple platforms. Luckily for Sony fans, they did have this say: “[That’s] not to say we won’t [go multiplatform] in the future, but for our first game we wanted to focus on making the best game we could.” Which, if true, seems to give a bit of weight to the idea that TitanFall will only be a timed exclusive.
While confirmed information will still have to wait until E3, probably the Microsoft Press Event on Monday June 10th, there was a list of details attached to the post:
- Xbox One, PC
- Xbox 360 version developed by someone else
- Planned to target current gen, but realized that they couldn’t run it
- Started to look into next gen and the answer they got from Microsoft intrigued them
- They said they needed to focus on fewer hardware. In the future they are open to more. They don’t specify if it would be this project or another.
- Plan to use Microsoft’s Cloud for dedicated servers and physics and AI calculations
- Campaign Multiplayer, “traditional” multiplayer mode, and a “One-Player Mode”.
- Spring 2014 Release Date
- There are a good amount of screens. In my opinion it visually looks pretty nice.
- First person shooter
- “Mech” and ground combat
- “Mech’s” are called Titans.
- They want these Titans to feel fast. They can dodge etc.
- If you don’t want to pilot the Titan you can have it follow you, killing people as it goes along.
- Player characters are called Pilots (male and female)
- They are extremely agile. Can run on walls, multiple jumps.
- They can take down Titans. Jumping on them and shooting the “brain”.
- You need to be cunning as a pilot. “Hit and fade” tactics is the term the game director uses.
- Pilots come equipped with a variety of weapons. Pistol, Assault Rifle, Anti-Titan Rocket Launcher, data knife used to hack AI characters into joining you.
- There are AI enemies on the maps.
- You survive longer than in COD. Making it more welcoming to newcomers.
- Source Engine. Building new engine = too much time.
- Source gives them 60 fps
- Modified Source – “Rewriting major portions of it”.
- Article talks about the process of forming the team, being fired, prototyping ideas etc. I recommend reading it.
- Going for a District 9 or Blade Runner vibe.
- Integrate memorable single player moments into a multiplayer game.
- Storytelling style will be more Left 4 Dead.
- Humans segregated between Earth and frontier planets. Corporation trying to take the resources of these frontier people.
- Progression system. No details yet
What do you think of this leak just before E3? Will this hurt Microsoft’s line-up of games they were hoping to surprise us with at their press conference? Would you wait to pick up TitanFall on PS4? Let us know in the comments what you think, and make sure to stay tuned to PSLS for all of your E3 updates.