The Dark Below, the first of two currently planned expansions for Destiny, has been confirmed for release on December 9 in North America and Europe for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. You can buy it separately for $19.99/£19.99, or as part of the Expansion Pass for $34.99/£34.99.
Raising the Light level cap to 32 and adding a bunch of new content, here’s what’s inside The Dark Below:
- New weapons, armor, and gear to earn, including Legendary and Exotic items
- Light Level cap raised to 32 and five additional Bounty slots added
New Story Quests & Missions
- After years hiding amongst the Hive shadows, a new character, Eris, has come forth bearing an ominous warning: The Hive seek to summon a god, Crota, to destroy the Earth. Find Eris in the Tower to take on special quests that include three new missions where you will increase your Light and earn new rewards.
New Co-Operative Strike
- The Will of Crota pits you and your Fireteam against Omnigul as she works to expand the Hive army at the command of her master, Crota.
Three New Competitive Multiplayer Arenas
- Pantheon – set deep within the Black Garden in an ancient Vex temple that features Vex-designed landscapes and tight corridors
- Skyshock – an old interplanetary defense array that offers both vehicle and infantry engagements
- The Cauldron – an abandoned Hive ritual site that offers close-quarter combat
- New six-player Raid, Crota’s End, set deep within the depths of the Hellmouth
- PlayStation platforms will also get access to an exclusive cooperative Strike, The Undying Mind, and more (timed exclusive until at least Fall 2015)
As part of a Q&A with the PS Blog, Bungie Community Manager Eric Osborne talked about the future of Destiny:
That’s a great question. We have well laid plans for the future, but you know what they say about those! We just put the finishing touches on The Dark Below, and we have some fun and much requested updates en route that will land before and after December 9th. In the days and months ahead, we’ll keep charting the course for Destiny, right alongside the awesome community of players. As always, it should be a great ride.
Bungie President Harold Ryan spoke about The Dark Below:
Destiny was created as a living universe, which has allowed us to improve the experience post launch in real-time. It also gives us insight into the things players are looking for in new content. We’ve seen from feedback that people want new activities, gear and weapons, and of course the immensely popular Raid. The community helps shape our development decisions and that’s really important to us.
Will you be playing The Dark Below this December?