Ending on Sunday, gamescom 2015 in Cologne, Germany saw 345,000 attendees, which is up from the 335,000 they saw last year.
Not only was the amount of overall people up, but the number of trade visitors increased from 31,500 to 33,200, the internationality of visitors was up by eight to 96, and the number of exhibitors was up by more than 100 to 806.
Gerald Böse, President and Chief Executive Officer of Koelnmesse, talked about the strong showing:
The signs for a successful gamescom were very positive and the results have definitely exceeded our expectations. The growth in the number of visitors and exhibitors and the expanded exhibition surface combined with the measures to improve the quality of the event are important components for the permanent and sustainable success of gamescom. We are very satisfied with gamescom 2015, because we were once again able to offer the trade visitors an international industry meeting place and gaming fans from all over the world a unique event.
Dr. Maximilian Schenk, Managing Director of BIU – the Federal Association of Interactive Entertainment Software, added, “gamescom has impressively confirmed its exceptional position as the world’s largest event for computer and video games and Europe’s most important business platform this year.”
As for the gamescom 2015 awards, Star Wars Battlefront cleaned up, taking home Best of Show, the Most Wanted Consumer Award, and more.
Here’s the full list of winners (nominees are over here):
- Best of gamescom – Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)
- Most Wanted Consumer Award – Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)
- Best Console Game Sony Playstation – Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)
- Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox – Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami Digital Entertainment)
- Best Console Game Nintendo Wii – Super Mario Maker (Nintendo)
- Best Role Playing Game – Dark Souls 3 (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Best Racing Game – Forza Motorsport 6 (Microsoft)
- Best Action Game – Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Konami Digital Entertainment)
- Best Simulation Game – Forza Motorsport 6 (Microsoft)
- Best Sports Game – PES 2016 (Konami Digital Entertainment)
- Best Family Game – LEGO Dimensions (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Strategy Game – Unravel (Electronic Arts)
- Best PC Game – Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)
- Best Mobile Game (incl. Handheld, iOS, Android, Windows) – Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (Nintendo)
- Best Social / Casual / Online Game – Super Mario Maker (Nintendo)
- Best Online Multiplayer Game – Star Wars Battlefront (Electronic Arts)
- Best Hardware (incl. Peripheral) – HTC Vive (HTC)
- Bestes Indie-Spiel – Cuphead (Studio MDHR)
gamescom 2016 will be taking place from August 17 – 21 in Cologne, which is just over two months after E3 2016.