Weighing in at around 17MB, here’s exactly what the PlayStation Messages app does:
Use PlayStation Messages to instantly see who’s online and message your gamer friends and favorite groups from your mobile device. Always stay connected with your gamer friends to talk about the games you love to play even while you’re away from your PS4 system.
With PlayStation Messages installed on your mobile device, you can:
- Check your Friends List to instantly see who’s online and what they’re playing.
- Send text or voice messages as well as photos and stickers to your friends or a group with up to 100 players.
- Quickly access your favorite message groups from your favorites list.
An account to connect to PlayStation Network is required to use this application’s features.
John Koller, Sony Computer Entertainment America’s VP of Brand Marketing, said, “We know that Messages is the most used feature of the PlayStation App, so we created the standalone PlayStation Messages app with a more streamlined design in order to get you into your Messages and communicating with your friends faster than ever before.”
With the introduction of PlayStation Messages, the PlayStation App received a new update (3.10.8) to remove the messaging function, as the patch notes reveal:
- You can now follow verified accounts. When you follow the accounts, you can keep track of their activities in [What’s New].
- The message feature in PlayStation App is now available as a separate application. You must install the [PlayStation Messages] application to continue using the message feature.
Sony added that the PlayStation App will still allow you to manage game downloads, control your PlayStation 4 remotely, and act as a second screen for certain titles.
Will you be using PlayStation Messages?