SEGA has announced that the upcoming Sonic Forces will allow players to create their own customizable character for the first time in the series history.
Not only will you be able to customize your hero’s looks but you can also customize the character’s play style. In a press release, the developer explained:
Players will be equipping their custom Hero Character with one of a variety of powerful unique gadgets called Wispons. Wispons are an evolution of the Color Powers from Sonic Colors and double as both offensive abilities and as a way to platform through levels quickly. Along with the Wispon, the Hero Character will have a grappling hook they can utilize to quickly traverse across zones. Players can also customize the Hero Character’s looks by choosing and swapping between hundreds of accessories and outfit options to change the character’s appearance as they play through the game.
There are seven base animal types that players can select from, each with varying special abilities:
- Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
- Rabbit – Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
- Cat – Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog – Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird – Flies high with double jump abilities
- Hedgehog – Collects rings when getting damaged
Your custom character will appear throughout the game including cutscenes.
Sonic Forces launches this holiday for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.