Overwatch update 2.15 went live on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One yesterday, weighing in at under 200MB on each console. Instead of adding Doomfist, it just brought these bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug that caused some players to lose audio during the match
- Fixed a bug causing the vacuum-of-space sound effects from the Horizon Lunar Colony menu screen to persist even after selecting a new menu area
- Fixed a bug that prevented Pharah’s “I am the rocket queen” voice line from playing correctly
- Fixed a bug that allowed Orisa’s ultimate to charge while her Supercharger was deployed
Doomfist is currently live on the PC PTR and should fully release within the next few weeks. According to a data miner, you can also expect a summer games event soon.
In other Overwatch news, Activision Blizzard announced that they’ve sold the first seven Overwatch League teams to these seven people in these major cities:
- Robert Kraft, Chairman and CEO of the Kraft Group and the New England Patriots (Boston)
- Jeff Wilpon, Co-Founder and Partner of Sterling.VC and COO of the New York Mets (New York)
- Noah Whinston, CEO of Immortals (Los Angeles)
- Ben Spoont, CEO and Co-Founder of Misfits Gaming (Miami-Orlando)
- Andy Miller, Chairman and Founder of NRG Esports (San Francisco)
- NetEase (Shanghai)
- Kevin Chou, Co-founder of Kabam (Seoul)
We have been exploring the esports market for a number of years and have been waiting for the right opportunity to enter. The incredible global success of Overwatch since its launch, coupled with the League’s meticulous focus on a structure and strategy that clearly represents the future of esports made this the obvious entry point for the Kraft Group.
Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime added:
Overwatch is a game about a diverse group of international heroes who fight for an optimistic vision of the future, and the Overwatch League is an extension of that spirit. We’re building this league for fans – esports fans, traditional sports fans, gaming fans – and we’re thrilled to have individuals and organizations who are as passionate about professional competition as we are, and who have extensive experience in all three fields, representing our first major international cities in the league.
Overwatch League is the first major global professional eSports league, and will kick off later this year. For the first season, regular season matches will be played at an eSports arena in Los Angeles, and matches will be played each Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Expect more details in the future.