Tempest, the iconic arcade title from Atari, is making a comeback. The original was heralded as one of the first games to have 3D graphics ever, and now it’ll be making the jump to 4K. Due to that, it’s rather appropriate that the latest entry in the shooter series is called Tempest 4000. Even more exciting is that Jeff Minter will be at the helm of the project.
“At the end of the day, video gamers always win,” said Jeff Minter, Executive Producer of Tempest 4000 and founder of Llamasoft. “I am very happy to work with Atari again to bring a long-awaited sequel of Tempest to our legion of fans and a new generation of gamers worldwide.”
Jeff Minter has created a number of Tempest titles, including the classic Tempest 2000 and 3000. He’s also spent much of his career creating arcade-style titles in that same vein, like PlayStation VR title Polybius. It’s been a banner year for Minter as the legendary rock band Nine Inch Nails even collaborated with him to create a music video for “Less Than.”
While there’s no gameplay available, we do know a bit about Tempest 4000’s features. Here’s what the press release promises:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempestwith enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
PlayStation LifeStyle will have more information on Tempest 4000 as it becomes available. It’s currently set to come to “consoles and PC.”