CCP Games announced today that EVE: Valkyrie is getting the free Warzone expansion on September 26, which “enables PC and PlayStation 4 gamers to fly and fight alongside each other, both in and out of VR, in fully balanced online space combat.” September 26 is also when EVE: Valkyrie will drop in price to $29.99 USD and have its name changed to EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone.
In addition to removing the PlayStation VR requirement, here’s what else you can expect from EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone:
New Features and Improved Gameplay
- Each ship within a class will have a more distinctive role to play in battle and all ships will be available from the first time a pilot enters the Clone Vat. This new, open hangar will allow pilots to experiment and find the ships that best fit their playstyle within a few matches.
- There will be new weapons and abilities to inflict upon each other, including powerful ship-specific Ultra abilities that, when timed correctly, can turn the course of battle. Ultras facilitate a deeper combat experience, being fuelled by the performance of you and your team.
- Pilots will be able to explore a new modular progression system that introduces multiple new modifications for each ship. With unique abilities and meaningful upgrade paths for each ship, you’ll have more control over how you evolve and customise your fleet.
- Warzone introduces the brand-new ‘Extraction’ game mode – think capture the flag in outer space – that mixes combat and navigational challenge in new and exciting ways, encouraging pilots to use the environment to their advantage. Most importantly though, it makes team-play – and team-tactics – a key component of success.
- In addition, the Warzone expansion will also feature two new maps; ‘Fleet’, a Sisters of EVE space station, and ‘Outpost’, a mysterious Drifter base, that will bring even more aspects of the rich EVE universe to the world of the EVE: Valkyrie. There will also be new weekly Wormholes to fight for, where established reality is twisted for a fresh gameplay experience.
New Rewards System
- In Warzone, we’ve simplified EVE: Valkyrie’s previously complex in-game economy with the removal of Gold and the reduction of surplus Silver. You’ll earn XP per ship and use only XP to craft a Modification for that ship, which is far easier to follow. Salvage picked up during a battle by you or your team now has a more immediate effect by fuelling your ship’s Ultra gauge.
- You can also fight over Spoils of War to earn Reward Capsules, enabling you to unlock a hangar-full of personalization options for your ships and pilot. Each item rewarded is categorised as Common, Rare or Epic to convey its sense of worth and desirability, plus a random element ensures that the content of each capsule remains a surprise.
With CCP Games calling EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone “the first ever cross-platform, cross-reality, first-person spaceship shooter,” Lead Game Designer Andrew Willans added, “If you can play first-person shooters, you can pilot one of EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone’s amazing ships. Not having access to VR hardware will no longer hold gamers back from diving weapons-first into intense and highly competitive space combat with friends.”
CCP Games also mentioned that they are continuing to “experiment with additional unannounced VR projects in development.”
We reviewed EVE: Valkyrie for PSVR last year and said, “It’s one of the best showcases for what PlayStation VR is capable of, but also a clear reminder that the best is yet to come.”
What other PSVR games would you like to see lose the VR requirement?
[Source: PlayStation Blog]