One of virtual reality’s best games is coming to PlayStation VR. Developer Against Gravity announced on Reddit that they’re bringing Rec Room, their virtual reality social hub that’s filled with plenty of full-fledged multiplayer offerings like paintball, charades, and more, is coming to PlayStation VR in the fourth quarter of 2017. The title has been available in Early Access on Steam, and is currently playable on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.
Rec Room has been free on PC, and Against Gravity tells players not to expect a console tax. “The entire experience is free,” wrote the developer. “We don’t have any ads, in app purchases, subscriptions, paid rooms, etc. We’re in early access [at the moment] and our primary goal is to gather feedback from VR pioneers like yourselves and make sure we’ve made the best social VR experience possible.”
The studio is currently allowing players to sign up to beta test the game, and outlined a number of details in a FAQ:
Will PSVR owners be able to play with Rift and Vive owners at launch?
- Yes! Anyone connecting through Oculus Home or SteamVR will find themselves in the same servers as all PSVR users at launch. *During beta testing all PSVR players will be on their own test server.
Why can only North American and South American players participate in the beta?
- This has to do with the PSVR regions that are available for us to test on prior to release. If we get access to testing in other regions we’ll push out another signup form!
Can I submit multiple applications?
- One application per PSVR unit. If you only have one PSVR unit please only submit one application.
Does this require PlayStation Plus? (from comments)
- The full release won’t require PlayStation Plus, so we don’t believe testing will either. We could be wrong but we would be very surprised. I’ll contact someone at Sony to make 100% sure though.
- Edit: Response was no PlayStation Plus required for both testing and full release!
When does the beta start?
- No firm estimate. Weeks not months 🙂
Will everyone who applies get in?
- We may only get through a small number of applicants for the testing we require before we’re done and need to focus on launch. But we really appreciate everyone who takes the time to apply!
Rec Room is coming to PlayStation VR in Q4 of 2017.