Fans have been using the Borderlands 3 ECHOcast Twitch extension to take their first look at the playable Vault Dwellers in Borderlands 3. We had already gotten a sneak peak at what the Siren Amara is capable of, but now it’s time to look at the skills Zane, the “Operative.”
These are currently the only two characters whose skill trees are available, but it does give us our first taste of what to expect when Borderlands 3 comes out later in the year. Each character will have three different skill trees focusing on a different aspect of combat. However, as this is form an early version of Borderlands 3, things could still change between now and its September 2019 release date.
Take a look at Zane’s skill tree here:
- SNTNL (Action Skill): Send, a drone into battle that fires upon foes with its machine guns. Pressing the Action Skill button or Grenade button while SYNTL is active causes it to attack the enemy under Zane’s cross-hairs, if any.
- Violent Speed (5): killing an enemy gives Zane’s increased movement speed for a few seconds.
- Cold Bore (5): Zane gains increased weapon swap speed
- Violent Momentum (5): Zane’s gun damage is increased while moving. The faster he moves, the greater the Gun Damage bonus..
- Cool Hand: Zane gains increased reload speed. Killing an enemy will also increase reload speed.
- Drone Delivery: SNTNL will occasionally drop a free grenade based on your current grenade mod.
- Salvation: After killing an enemy Zane’s weapons will acquire Life Steal for a few seconds.
- Seein’ Red: Activating an action skill will activate all of Zane’s Kill Skills.
- Violent Violence: Killing an enemy gives Zane’s weapons an increased fire-rate for a few seconds.
- Paying Dirty: After killing an enemy, Zane’s next five shots all have a chance to fire an additional projectile.
- Good Misfortune: Killing an enemy increases Zane’s Action Skill duration. Be mindful, though, this skill has ‘diminishing returns’
- Death Follows Close: All of Zain’s kill skills gain increased affect and duration.
- Winter’s Drone: Converts SNTNL’s primary weapons to Cryo Damage
- Bad Dose: SNTNL occasionally shoots a beam that weakens enemies and buffs Zane.
- Boomsday: SNTNL adds a rocket pod to its primary weapons, allowing it to shoot rockets as well as machine guns.
- Static Field: SNTNL emits a static field that sends a Shock beam to nearby enemies, draining their shields and replenishing Zane’s.
- Almighty Ordinance: Hold down the Action Skill button or the Grenade button while SNTNL is deployed to paint a target area. SNTNL fires a missile barrage at that area, and if the enemy is killed, Almighty Ordinance is reset. This can only be used once per Action Skill use.
- Barrier (Action Skill): Drop a deployable Barrier that blocks incoming projectiles. Zane and his allies can shoot through the Barrier, dealing increased Gun Damage. Pressing the Action Skill button or Grenade button while Barrier is active picks up and holds the Barrier, but the size and bonuses are decreased.
- Adrenaline (5): Zane gains increased Action Skill Cooldown Rate. This bonus is based on the amount of shields he has. The more percent full, the greater the bonus.
- Hearty Stock (3): Zane gains increased Maximum Shield Capacity.
- Ready for Action (5): Zane gains increased Shield Recharge Rate and Shield Recharge Delay.
- Brainfreeze: Whenever Zane scores a Critical Hit on an enemy, there’s a chance they will be slowed.
- Stiff Upper Lip: Whenever Zane is damaged, he gains Damage Resistance against that Damage Type.
- Rise to the Occasion: Zane gains Health Regeneration. The lower his shield is, the higher the bonus. While Zane’s shields are full, he does not receive any health regeneration.
- Confident Competence: When Zane’s shields are active, he gains increased Gun Damage and Accuracy. This bonus is based on the amount of shields he has. The more percent full, the greater the bonus.
- Really Expensive Jacket: Elemental damage over time effects applied to Zane have reduced duration.
- Best Served Cold: Whenever Zane kills an enemy, they create a Cryo Nova, dealing damage to all nearby enemies. The skill has a short cooldown.
- Futility Belt: Zane gains resistance to non-elemental damage. Kill Skill. All elemental damage Zane takes is converted to non-elemental damage.
- Refreshment: Whenever Zane damages a frozen enemy with his weapon, he gains some of that damage back as health.
- Calm, Cool, Collected: Whenever Zane freezes an enemy, his shield instantly begins recharging. If Zane’s shields are already full, he regenerates health for a few seconds. If Zane’s health is already full, his Action Skill Cooldowns and Durations are immediately reset.
- Nerves of Steel: Zane gains increasing Accuracy and Handling. The longer his shield is full, the greater the bonus.
- Charged Relay: Whenever Zane or an ally touches the Barrier, they gain increased Movement Speed and Fire Rate for a few seconds.
- Nanintes or Some Shite: Zane and his allies gain Health Regeneration, increased Reload Speed, and greatly improved Shield Recharge Delay while near his Barrier. The lower the health, the more health is regenerated.
- All-rounder: Zane’s Barrier becomes a dome, covering all sides.
- Redistribution: Zane and his allies near the Barrier gain increased Gun Damage for a few seconds after the Barrier takes damage.
- Distributed Denial: Zane’s barrier gains the effect of his currently equipped shield mod. Additionally, shield effects are applied to all allies near the barrier. Bonuses to Zane are reduced.
- Digi-Clone (Action Skill): Spawn a Digi-Clone of Zane. This clone stays in place, but distracts and fires at enemies. Pressing the Action Skill button or the Grenade button while the Clone is active causes Zane and the clone to swap place.
- Synchronicity (5): Whenever one or more of Zane’s Action Skills are active, he gains increased Gun Damage for each active action skill.
- Praemunitus (3): Zane and his Digi-Clone gain increased Magazine Size.
- Donnybrook: Whenever Zane kills an enemy, he and his Digi-Clone receive increased Gun Damage and receive Health Regeneration for a few seconds.
- Fractal Fangs: The Digi-Clone throws a copy of Zane’s current grenade mod when it is first activated. Killing an enemy while the Digi-Clone is active gives the Clone a chance to throw a grenade.
- Duct Tape Mod: The first shot fired from Zane’s gun has a chance to also fire a grenade. The more grenades in his capacity, the higher the chance.
- Quick Breather: Whenever Zane swaps places with his Clone, his shield immediately begins recharging.
- Pocket Full of Grenades: After killing an enemy, Zane gains Grenade Regeneration for a few seconds.
- Old-U: Press the Action Skill button or Grenade button during Fight for Your Life is Digi-Clone is active to destroy the Clone and immediately gain a Second Wind with full health.
- Supersonic Man: Whenever one or more of Zane’s Action Skills are active, he gains increased Movement Speed for each active Action Skill.
- Like a Ghost: Zane and his Digi-Clone gain a chance to ignore bullets. The chance is increased for a few seconds after activating an aAction Skill. This effect stacks.
- Boom. Enhance.: Whenever Zane summons his Digi-Clone, it consumes up to 3 grenades. For every grenade consumed, the Digi-Clone gains increased Gun Damage, Max Health, Fire Rate, and Reload Speed.
- Trick of the Light: Zane deals Bonus Shock Damage to enemies that aren’t targeting him.
- Binary System: Whenever Zane swaps places with his clone, a Cryo Nova is triggered around Zane and his clone.
- Schadenfreude: Whenever the Clone takes damage, Zane’s shield is restored by a portion of that damage.
- Which One’s Real?: Enemies are more likely to target the Clone for a few seconds after it’s summoned and after swapping places.
- Doppelbanger: Hold down the Action Skill button or Grenade button to end the skill early. When Zane’s Action Skill is ended, the Clone explodes, dealing fire damage to all nearby enemies. The more Action Skill time remaining, the greater the damage.
- Digital Distribution: If Zane takes damage while the Clone is active, a portion of that damage is shared with the Clone instead.
- Double Barrel: The Clone is equipped with a copy of Zane’s current weapon when activated. Swapping places with the Clone causes Zane and his clone to gain increased Gun Damage.