Call of Duty: Modern Warfare‘s multiplayer design director, Joe Cecot, has said that although the game’s developers are “big fans” of battle royale, they’re only focusing on the “core multiplayer” experience at the moment.
However, Cecot didn’t say no to the idea of battle royale outright. Speaking to IGN, he said:
We really focused on Modern Warfare, authentic and gritty, realistic weapons, and it’s a different experience. It’s really…just about pulling back to Modern Warfare and keeping that pure. Big fans of battle royale. We’re excited for large player counts and things like that, but right now we’re really focused on core multiplayer.
We have pushed our networking engineers to allow us to have more players. On the technical side, we’ve had to do a ton of work on the multiplayer side to make things more efficient so we could push the player counts higher and higher and higher.
Speaking to Daily Star separately, art director Joel Emslie said that what Infinity Ward has shown its fans so far is “just the tip of the iceberg.”
We can tell you more about our plans for 100 player plus games later, but we have the real estate and the square footage to meet the massive player counts. What we’ve revealed is just the tip of the iceberg. I get excited thinking about it – Modern Warfare has so much potential and all the things we can do with it are exponential. Some of the stuff we’re doing is pretty freaky. We’re having so much fun!
Recent rumors suggest that Modern Warfare will eventually receive a battle royale mode but given Infinity Ward’s silence, we’ll have to take this one with a grain of salt.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will release on October 25, 2019.
This page contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.