PSLS.net Home

Sony “Stopped a Number of Games Last Year”, Allowed Remember Me to Become Multiplatform

August 15, 2012 Written by Sebastian Moss

Sony’s gamescom conference might have been jam-packed with game reveals and announcements, but it could have been better – the company stopped production on “a number of games last year”.

The revelation comes from Dontnod co-founder Oskar Guilbert, who said that their newly announced, Capcom published, AAA new IP Remember Me was originally being published by Sony as Adrift. But last year, Sony wanted a different game than what Dontnod aimed, and stopped production on the title – along with “a number of games”:

Sony wanted to focus on a different type of game and we don’t really fit with that. But we’re in a very good relationship with them. They stopped a number of games last year at Sony and we took back the IP rights and were able to continue to develop it thanks to the support of the investors. We were then able to sign the game to a publisher who’s portfolio is a better fit for the game.

Considering the game only left Sony last year and is out next May you’d think the game will end up just like what would have happened if had stayed exclusive, but Guilbert said:

We didn’t show the game last year, but we showed concept artwork. This project is not exactly the same, it is an evolution. The concept of what we had with Sony was different.

We probably won’t ever know what other projects were canceled, and we can only hope they have as happy an outcome as Remember Me and weren’t first party titles.

Are you worried to hear that Sony shelved a bunch of titles? Share your thoughts in the comments below.