Need for Speed: Rivals Confirmed for PS3 and PS4, Out November 19th on the Current Generation
It took EA a couple of days to actually tell us about their new Need for Speed game, with the publisher announcing today that Need for Speed: Rivals would be coming to the PlayStation 3 on November 19th, with a PlayStation 4 version “later this year.” Built on the Frostbite 3 Engine, Rivals is being developed by Ghost Games, EA’s newest studio, who are partnered with Criterion Games working on the Need for Speed franchise.
Being able to play on both sides of the law, choosing to get behind the wheel as a racer has you trying to take as many risks as you can, getting them on video in the process. Also, by avoiding the cops, you earn Speedpoints, which allow you to unlock cars and items. If you choose to play as a cop though, you work as part of a team to take down those racers, raising your rank with each bust, giving you access to more cars and pursuit items.
Here’s a breakdown of some features found within Rivals:
- Need for Speed Network Powered by Autolog: You can compare stats and challenge their friends anytime, anywhere and then easily share their accomplishments with both friends and rivals.
- Personalization: Customize your ride with fresh paintjobs, custom license plates, liveries decals and rims, as well as performance upgrades.
- Pursuit and Evasion Tech: 11 upgradeable gadgets including turbo boosts, jammers and EMPs for racers, and shockwaves, roadblocks and helicopters for cops.
- The Return of Ferrari: Ferrari returns to Need for Speed, including the F12berlinetta.
- AllDrive: A new feature that allows you to seamlessly transition from playing alone, to playing with friends. Friends can enter and exit races on-the-fly.
Marcus Nilsson, Executive Producer on Need for Speed: Rivals, spoke a little about the game:
The Need for Speed franchise has been an industry leader bringing social competition to the forefront in games. For the first time, players will have the freedom to seamlessly go from single player to co-op to multiplayer. In Need for Speed Rivals we are creating one game experience with one progression, where the freedom to play with friends is more fluid and accessible than ever before.
Pre-orders of Rivals at select retailers include the Ultimate Cop Pack for free, which includes items such as the Nissan GT-R Black Edition cop car, advanced pursuit technology, and a custom livery.
Expect a full unveil of Need for Speed: Rivals at E3.
What do you think about Rivals? Are you excited? Let us know in the comments below.