Here’s All the Non-Gaming Experiences Coming to PlayStation VR at Launch
After detailing every game coming to PlayStation VR on October 13, Sony released a list of the non-gaming experiences coming to PSVR. For North America, everything will be available on launch day, while Europe will get them “soon.”
Here’s all the films and apps you can expect:
North America & Europe
- Allumette tells a story about love, sacrifice and an infinite bond between an orphan and her mother. The movie chronicles the life of a young girl named Allumette, who lives in a fantastical city in the clouds. Allumette features an incredible musical score and vivid and vibrant hand-crafted VR visuals. Run time is nearly 20 minutes, one of the longest VR movies to-date.
- From the director of Madagascar and narrated by Ethan Hawke, INVASION! is an award-winning VR animation that invites YOU to become part of the story. A pair of bumbling aliens, Mac and Cheze, plan to invade our Earth and destroy anyone who tries to stop them. Instead, they are thwarted by the cuddliest animals on the planet – two adorable bunnies….and YOU are one of them. Official selection of Cannes, Tribeca and Toronto film festivals.
- Kismet is a unique daily VR fortune-telling experience. Seated across a table from an enchanted automaton with the power to see the future in the Cards and the Stars, you’ll be transported to a place where magic is real. Named after the mysterious fortune-teller at its core, Kismet is an experience inspired by the mystic arts of Tarot and Astrology, brought to life in a beautifully detailed, handmade, Gothic style.
Littlstar VR Cinema
- Littlstar is the leading network dedicated exclusively to virtual reality, 360 video, and immersive experiences. Watch the best content from channels like ABC, Showtime, Discovery, Nat Geo, A+E, Disney, and more.
- Vrideo is the world’s premier platform for immersive video, also known as “360° video” or “VR video.” Stream videos, see trending and recommended videos, browse content categories, search for videos and channels, and explore channels.
- Discover the best VR content from the world’s finest VR creators—all in a single app. From gripping tales set in worlds of pure imagination to documentaries taking you further inside the news than ever before, Within brings together premium, story-based immersive content in a variety of genres. Download Within and experience the future of storytelling today.
North America/US Only
- Jump into the future of TV with the Hulu VR app. Explore multiple 3-D viewing spaces and immerse yourself in all-new worlds of possibility, experiencing your favorite TV shows and movies like never before.’
Atomic Ghost Fleet
- In Alchemy VR’s Atomic Ghost Fleet, descend into the remote tropical waters around the Bikini Atoll and come face to face with an undisturbed marine world of extraordinary shipwrecks.
Cocos Shark Island
- Travel 240 miles off the coast of Costa Rica in the heart of the Pacific Ocean to the incredible Cocos Island – described by legendary explorer Jacques Cousteau as “the most beautiful island in the world”.
- This tropical ecosystem is a mecca for schools of exotic fish – and hungry sharks. Join a team of research scientists as they dive into this underwater paradise at feeding time to observe 360 degrees of this thrilling event produced by the team at Alchemy VR.
David Attenborough’s First Life VR
- Alchemy VR’S First Life takes you on a journey of discovery to the Cambrian Oceans of 540 million years ago as David Attenborough reveals the dawn of life – and introduces you to the earliest inhabitants of an amazing marine world.
As Sony adds, “some of these will be free and some will be paid,” and, at least in North America, every single one requires PlayStation VR.
Don’t forget that PlayStation VR also includes Cinematic Mode, letting you play almost all of your PS4 games on a virtual screen.