Watch the Second Trailer of A Certain Magical Virtual-On
SEGA has published the second promotional trailer for A Certain Magical Virtual-On (also known as Toaru Majutsu no Virtual-On), the upcoming mech versus action game that revives SEGA’s mecha series Cyber Troopers Virtual-On with a collaboration with the popular Japanese light novel & anime A Certain Magical Index (a.k.a. Toaru Majutsu no Index).
As of this trailer, SEGA has so far confirmed that A Certain Magical Virtual-On will have 12 playable characters and Virtuaroids. Here is the list of the playable characters, along with the Virtuaroids assigned to each of them.
- Kamijo Touma (MBV-707-G/VSL Temjin 707)
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum (IDX-10/3000 BAL-LrooN)
- Misaka Mikoto (HBV-502-H8/VSL Raiden “Judge Igniters”)
- Accelerator (RVR-87/VSL Specineff “Rusty Blood”)
- Shirai Kuroko (RVR-14/VSL Fei-Yen kn [The Knight] “Judge Igniters”)
- Syokuho Misaki (SGV-417-I/VSL Angelan “Hive Eaters”)
- Uiharu Kazari (SAV-326-D/9/VSL Grys-Vok “Judge Igniters”)
- Saten Ruiko (RVR-33/VSL Apharmd S [The Striker] “Judge Igniters”)
- Acqua (RVR-33/VSL Apharmd B [The Battler])
- Kanzaki Kaori (RVR-22/VSL Apharmd C [The Commander])
- Tsuchimikado Motoharu (RVR-68/VSL Dordray)
- Lesser (RVR-42/VSL Cypher)
SEGA has promised quite a lot of volume in A Certain Magical Virtual-On with various kinds of missions; from the orthodox Arcade Battle mode with Virtuaroid tuning in-between stages, Kill Attack which is basically a survival mode, Boss Battles against larger mechs, and a unique Explosion Code battle where four players duke it out in a 2-on-2 match that involves an explosive energy sphere.
Online Versus is also supported in A Certain Magical Virtual-On, where players can not only participate in the battles themselves but can spectate matches between other players as well. While past Virtual-On games had been known for its tricky controls with manual lock-on, A Certain Magical Virtual-On will offer a new Smart control system that has automatic lock-on, as well as a thorough tutorial mode for newcomers to join the fun.
SEGA’s A Certain Magical Virtual-On will be released for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan on February 15, 2018. A cross-platform save transfer will also be supported between the two consoles. An English localization has not been confirmed as of yet.