With 2009 finally over, looking back on all of the news in the past year reveals dozens of great moments and announcements. With a terrific showcasing of a handful of AAA titles as well as the PlayStation 3 Slim, Sony made a huge impact on the gaming front in the past 12 months. The question is, what do consumers consider the biggest announcement of the last year?
According to a reader survey for the official Famitsu magazine, the announcement of the PlayStation 3 Slim was the largest announcement of 2009. While many anticipated the announcement earlier this year at GamesCom, the price drop of $100 was huge and invited millions of consumers around the globe to join the PlayStation family. When strictly looking at sales data, the release of the PlayStation 3 Slim coincides with a huge birth of sales and the gradual overtaking of the gaming market.
Below are the top 10 announcements according to the Famitsu poll:
1. New model of PlayStation 3 announced. (112 Reader Votes / 42 Retailer Votes)
2. Final Fantasy XIII release date announced. (65 / 21)
3. Dragon Quest IX sold more than 2 million copies in two days. (49 / 20)
4. Nintendo DSi LL goes on sale. (40 / 9)
5. PSPgo announced. (32 / 14)
6. Nintendo sues R4 makers and sellers. (27 / 13)
7. PSP-3000 price drop. (34 / 3)
8. Project Natal announced. (28 / 2)
9. Final Fantasy XIV announced. (24 / 1)
10. Trico (aka The Last Guardian) announced. (19 / 0)
With Sony heading into 2010 with a truckload of momentum, it will be exciting to see what is unveiled in the coming months. With huge titles such as Heavy Rain and God of War 3 releasing this quarter, 2010 is likely to be just as exciting for PlayStation owners across the globe.