Following yesterday’s confirmation of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition coming to the PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U, DrinkBox Studios has revealed some more details about the game, including the fact that it will be released in Q2 2014 (April – June).
To get things started, here’s a teaser video showing off what makes this the Super Turbo Championship Edition:
DrinkBox then went into full details about all the new features you’ll be getting:
- Expanded Story – An expanded version of the game that includes DLC content from the original
- New Game Areas – Players will ride boats through the Canal of Flowers to save a besieged fishing town, and avoid lava as they climb through the fiery Volcano
- New Boss – Face off against The Trio of Death, a three-headed skeleton that lives in the Volcano, helping the evil Carlos Calaca build his skeleton armies
- New Abilities – Maximize destruction with the powerful new INTENSO combat mode. Plus: Chicken Bombs and Independent Dimension Swapping
- New Enemies – Lethal new elite-class enemies that want to choke-slam luchadores to sleep
- Support for multiple save slots
- Dual currency system that supports permanent item unlocks
DrinkBox Co-Founder Ryan MacLean talked about how Guacamelee! appearing on other platforms, besides the PS3 and PS Vita, was always their plan:
It’s always been our plan to bring Guacamelee! to additional platforms in order to share the game’s unique world with as many gamers as possible; however, we wanted to go one step further and provide fans with new content and features. We feel that Super Turbo Championship Edition’s new levels, enemies and abilities (did somebody say explosive eggs?) will provide armchair luchadores with the richest Guac experience ever.
- For owners of the PS3/PS Vita version of the game, DrinkBox would “really like to offer the [Super Turbo Championship Edition] at a discount” and is “investigating the possibility.”
- There’s “no plans” to bring the new content to the PS3/PS Vita versions as they’re focused on getting the game on new consoles right now.
- To add to that above point: “There’s a lot of new content in STCE that changes the game, so DLC isn’t really possible. Both new levels are part of the story progression and the new moves and game tuning change the original game.”
- On whether they might just create a standalone Vita version of STCE: “I think that’s a possibility. We’re a really small team so it takes time to bring it to a new console, but if fans really want STCE on Vita it’s something we’d consider.”
- Cross Save between the new and old versions isn’t possible because “the new version has a lot of content that wasn’t in the original.”
- There will be a Platinum trophy in Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS3/PS Vita owners of Guacamelee! can still unlock it).
- Regarding the possibilities of using the PS Vita as a controller, like you could do in the PS3 version, “We’re looking into the technical bits around that – we’re not sure it’s done in the same way it was on PS3.”
- The Super Turbo Championship Edition is “the last edition we’re doing.”
- The Super Turbo Championship Edition is in the process of being fine-tuned and polished right now.
- For a tease: “I think everyone here would be into making a sequel, there are so many ways we could go.”
Do you plan on buying Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition for the PS4 later this year? Let us know in the comments below.