After initially saying it wasn’t possible, developer Klei announced today that Don’t Starve: Giant Edition on PlayStation Vita will include cross-buy with the PlayStation 4 version of Don’t Starve (which was free on PlayStation Plus earlier this year) when it launches on September 2 in North America and September 3 in Europe.
If you’re unfamiliar with Don’t Starve: Giant Edition, Klei detailed the price, contents, and more:
- The Giant Edition costs $14.99/€13.99, and includes the Reign of Giants expansion. This expansion is usually $4.99, and we’ve bundled it in for everyone. It includes new characters, seasons, biomes, and other challenges that will happily kill you.
- Unfortunately, in order for us to get the game on Vita, we had to rewrite a bunch of back-end code to optimize it. Because of this, the save games are not compatible with PS4, so there is no cross-play.
- BUT! We love you all, so we’re making the game cross-buy! If you own Don’t Starve on PS4, you get the Vita version for free, and vice versa. Thank you for supporting our game, and please spread the word so we can keep making more interesting games!
And here’s what you get with the Reign of Giants expansion:
- New playable characters: Reign of Giants adds two characters for players to discover and survive with. Play as Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.
- Year-round starvation: Struggle through a full year of seasons as you experience the torrential rain falls of spring and the blistering heat of summer.
- A bigger, badder world: New biomes have been filled to the brim with new creatures and gatherables that will either help you survive — or kill you.
- An extra save slot: You asked, we delivered.
- Giants: They’re in the name, for crying out loud!
Will you be playing Don’t Starve on your Vita next month?