“Keep in mind that this is only for those who are eager to re-download their content on to their next-gen consoles prior to launch,” they explain. “You DO NOT have to re-download at this time; your DLC entitlements will be available after launch. And as a reminder, you will only be able to re-download DLC for free within each console family (i.e. Xbox 360 to Xbox One; PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4).”
Due to technical restrictions with Sony and Microsoft, batch downloads aren’t supported, so you’ll have to re-download each DLC entitlement and track individually in order to play them in Rock Band 4.
Here’s how to re-download your legacy Rock Band DLC on PS4 (follow the link below for Xbox One instructions):
- Turn on your PlayStation 4.
- Sign in to the PlayStation Network ID that you originally purchased your legacy Rock Band DLC on.
- Navigate to the PlayStation Store.
- Under Search, type in “Rock Band 4” and select the “Rock Band 4” Game.
- Navigate to “Add-Ons”.
- Select “View All”.
- From here, you can do one of two things.
- Filter the list to see ONLY “Free” Add-Ons.
- Sort Price by “Low-to-High”.
- You should see individual DLC tracks come up as “Purchased”. These are the entitlements that you are able to re-download based on your account’s purchase history.
- Select the individual Add-On you want to download and select “Download”.
- The download should automatically begin and be added to your PlayStation 4 Downloads. Once completed, you should see that where the “Download” prompt used to be on this individual Add-On, it will now say “Installed”.
- You can always check your download history by navigating to Notifications –> Downloads from the PlayStation 4 Main Menu!
- Repeat step 9 for as many Add-Ons as you would like downloaded to your console.
- And that’s it! You can now play this content in Rock Band 4 when the game is loaded into your system!
In other important Rock Band 4 news, all DLC singles on PS4 and Xbox One will see their prices set at $1.99 beginning on October 6. This includes all legacy DLC singles, and future DLC singles.
Additionally, the huge 50% off pre-Rock Band 3 DLC sale on PS3 and Xbox 360 is ending, with Harmonix saying, “It’s been three years that this content has been 50% off. It will be returning to full price at $1.99 per track. Additionally, all packs will also be returning to their original full price.”
Harmonix revealed why the prices are changing:
We’ve had the awesome and incredibly busy task of adding Rock Band 4 gameplay features (like Freestyle Guitar Solos and Dynamic Drum Fills) to our legacy DLC that is now available in the store. We’ve managed to carry over 1700 pieces of legacy DLC so that players can begin searching, re-downloading, and purchasing Rock Band content.
If you’re unsure which PS3 instruments will work with Rock Band 4 on PS4, here’s the updated compatibility chart: