A dataminer has been having a bit of fun with his Steam build of No Man’s Sky. He’s opened all of the game’s code files in order to seek out a hidden multiplayer mode, but in the meantime, he’s found several other secrets instead. He shared them with a friend, who consequently posted his discoveries on NeoGAF. The following is a small sample of what he’s uncovered:
- Player characters, complete with helmets, jetpacks, and backpacks;
- Prototype assets for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360;
- A folder of demo assets containing a monkey with a fez, jellyfish, and two spaceships;
- Something called a “space grave”;
- All of the E3 demos;
- Evidence of a poop effect.
Thus far, he hasn’t found anything on multiplayer mode. But he did find some Half-Life 2 logos in a Test folder within the Textures folder. In addition, he has learned that the PC version of the game uses the PlayStation 4 libraries and compression.
The Half-Life 2 logos are the biggest headscratcher. What could they have been using those for? Player taunts?