DriveClub VR Confirmed for PlayStation VR, Releases in 2016
After PlayStation Japan leaked it last month, Sony has officially confirmed that DriveClub VR is coming exclusively to PlayStation VR in 2016. A firm release date and price weren’t given, but it will be available physically (at least in Europe). As the box art lists, you’ll need a PlayStation VR headset and PlayStation Camera to play DriveClub VR, but not PlayStation Move controllers.
With DriveClub VR, you’ll find a single-player career, online VR race modes, new and classic tracks, more than 80 cars, and Cruise Mode and Passenger Mode.
Here’s the list of features in DriveClub VR:
- Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges.
- Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations.
- A closer look: More than 80 cars are recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode.
- Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.
- Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.
DriveClub developer Evolution Studios was working on a VR version of the game before they were closed down, but, according to Principal Programmer Nico Orru, it’s now being handled by SIE Immersive Technology Group:
We’ve been working tirelessly on DriveClub VR for more than a year now, to bring you the definitive and most immersive Driveclub experience possible.
We’re passionate about trying to create the most memorable and exhilarating gaming experiences possible, so being given the opportunity to take DriveClub to a more immersive level thanks to VR is really thrilling.
DriveClub VR is playable at gamescom 2016 this week.
[Source: PS Blog]