During the Multiplayer reveal live stream for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare today, some more information about the game’s Create a Class system was revealed, showcasing some of the ways it has changed in the latest installment of the series. Details on things like perks, weapon attachments and customization, equipment, and more was detailed, giving fans an idea of the flexibility with the updated system. In fact, in this new system, not only can players add attachments onto their guns to make them look and feel unique, but those weapons can also have added perks.
For starters, when it comes to the amount of weapons a player can carry, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare‘s Create a Class system functions very similarly to other Call of Duty titles. Players can choose one primary weapon and one secondary weapon (unless they use the Overkill perk, where you can take two primaries into battle instead), then outfit those weapons with up to five attachments using the Gunsmith system.
The Gunsmith will allow players to change a weapon’s muzzle, barrel, under barrel, laser, optic, magazine, rear grip, and stock, which will come with pros and cons depending on what attachments you use. These attachments will be unlocked as you use the weapon, and there will be an average of 30 attachments for pistols and 60 attachments for other weapons. The Ak-47 assault rifle was used as an example. Players can turn it into the Ak-74u submachine gun by removing the stock from the weapon, adding a shorter barrel and changing the caliber of the ammo it fires. During the stream it was also said that you can swap out weapons and attachments when in a match, meaning you will no longer need to finish a match to try out your new unlocks or just change a weapon that’s not behaving how you’d like it to.
In addition to attachments, the system also allows players to equip perks onto their weapons, giving the gun an added bonus of some sort. Some examples were shown, including alternate firing modes, different calibers of bullets, faster reloading, increased bullet penetration and damage against equipment and killstreaks, faster melee and more. Each perk will take up one of your attachment slots, so if you were concerned about game balance, worry not. You can still only equip a maximum of five attachments to each weapon.
In terms of the equipment that players can bring into battle, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare still makes use of lethal and tactical equipment.
- Fragmentation Grenades
- Molotov Cocktails
- Throwing Knives
- C4 Explosives
- Thermite grenade (Sticks to surfaces, causing burning damage over time)
- Proximity Mines.
- Flash Grenades
- Smoke Grenades
- Stun Grenades
- Stim (“cauterizes combat wounds”)
- Decoy Grenades
- Gas Grenades
- Snapshot Grenade (Temporarily marks enemies for the player)
- Heartbeat Sensor
Perks are returning in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare as well. Players are able to equip three perks from different perk pools to customize their play style, The list, along with their descriptions, can be found below:
- Double Time – Triple the duration of Super Sprint and fully refresh Super Sprint on kills.
- E.O.D. – Take reduced damage from non-killstreak explosives and fire. Hack enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, and C4.
- Scavenger – Resupply ammo from dead players.
- Tracker – Enemies leave behind trails and death markers. Increase crouch movement speed by 30%.
- Tune Up – Increase the charge rate of field upgrades by 50%.
- Ghost – Undetectable by UAVs, Radar Drones, Heartbeat Sensors and High Alert. Hide the death markers of enemies you kill.
- Hardline – Your killstreaks cost 1 less kill.
- Kill Chain – Killstreaks earned in your current life earn kill credit for your other killstreaks.
- Overkill – Carry two primary weapons.
- Restock – Recharge equipment over 30 seconds.
- Amped – Faster weapon swap and rocket launcher reload speed.
- Battle Hardened – Reduce strength of enemy flash, stun and EMP effects.
- Cold Blooded – Undetectable by AI targeting systems and thermal optics. Immune to snapshot grenades.
- High Alert – Your vision pulses when enemies outside of your view see you.
- Shrapnel – Spawn with an extra piece of lethal equipment. Explosive damage delays enemy health regeneration.
- Spotter – See enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Mark them for your team by looking at them while aiming down sights.
Killstreaks were shown briefly during the stream as well, including returning classics and new faces:
- Care Package
- Cluster Strike
- Cruise Missile
- Precision Airstrike
- Infantry Assault Vehicle (Co-op killstreak. One player drives the tank and one player uses the gunner seat)
- Emergency Airdrop
- VTOL Jet
- Chopper Gunner
- White Phosphorous
- Support Helo
- Advanced UAV
New field upgrades will provide the player with some extra support equipment to use on the fly. Some of these include Recon Drones which can be used to scout objectives for your team, Tactical Cover that creates a barrier, setting a spawn point with Tactical Insertions, and more. It was noted that you can place C4 explosives on the drones for an added surprise.
Finally, Operator selection will have no impact on gameplay at all. Unlike Black Ops 4, your choice of who to play as in the multiplayer is independent of your perks and abilities, so you can play the character you want to while getting to play how you want to.
Are you excited to try out the new and improved Create a Class system in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Perhaps you’ll try it out in the PlayStation 4 open beta which starts on September 14, 2019? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!