Mojang Aiming for Q2/Q3 2014 to Release Minecraft on PS4 & PS Vita
It was last week when we found out about the PS3 retail version of Minecraft: PS3 Edition, and because he was on vacation, Mojang’s Owen Hill wasn’t able to answer people’s questions on the EU and US PS Blogs until this week.
One of the most interesting answers he gave was that the PS4 and PS Vita versions of Minecraft are “aiming for Q2/Q3,” meaning we’ll see the games anytime between now and September 2014. Despite the box art already being posted, Hill added, “[We're] not sure about a physical Vita version yet, sorry.”
Elsewhere, Hill confirmed that “the plan is to enable users to transfer [their worlds] from PS3 to PS4. We’re still working out how it’ll work with the Vita version.”
Hill then addressed a few other topics, which we’ve placed below:
- The price of the PS3 retail version should be “a similar (if not identical) price to the digital version.”
- “We’ll have more news on Cross Buy/upgrade options soon! I understand that the wait is frustrating, but we don’t want to make false promises.”
- Similar to the above comment, Hill said this when asked about Cross Buy/Cross Play between the PlayStation versions: “News on this coming soon! Promise. Sorry for the delay.”
- Similar to the two above comments, Hill said, “We’re in the process of finalizing Cross Buy/upgrade/DLC things. More news soon.”
- When asked of a possible discount on the Vita version if you bought the PS3 version digitally, Hill said, “Possibly! More news soon.”
- In case you missed it before, there’s “no mouse and keyboard support planned” for the PS4 version and “beacons will come later!”
- The retail version of Minecraft: PS3 Edition will “probably have the same Trophies” as the downloadable version.
- “The Vita version will be closer to the console versions. PS4 will definitely have infinite worlds!”
Do you think you could wait until September for a PS4 version of Minecraft? Let us know in the comments below.