Timing Was Key in Final Fantasy VII Remake Announcement, Says Square Enix

August 2, 2015 Written by Zarmena Khan

finalfantasyviiremake22

At E3 2015, Square Enix confirmed that Final Fantasy VII Remake was indeed going to happen, and we later found out from Game Director Tetsuya Nomura that development on the title commenced before December 2014. In the latest issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine, Nomura reveals that timing was important when it comes to the remake not just because the company wanted to boost its portfolio at the time, but also because of the availability of the key members of the project allowing development to go ahead. 

There are more and more titles being announced by Square Enix on PlayStation 4, so we figured [announcing] it now would be a good boost to our portfolio. And in terms of why it was time to start production: you may have seen three names come up in the trailer: Mr Kitase, Mr Nojima and myself . The availability of these three key members finally aligned, and we were able to see a window in which we can start production with these creators, so it made it possible for us to move forward with the project.

Nomura also said that discussions of a remake had been going on for quite some time, but were on and off.

Actually, the discussion of doing the Remake has been a long one. Even internally it came up and it went away, and it was kind of an up-and-down ongoing discussion that was going on. So now that we’ve finally announced it, I’m just looking forward to getting through with it. The gravity of this game… it’s just such a large title. Not only the expectations, but the production of it too. [I’m looking forward to] finishing it as quickly as I can, getting the final product out and delivering it to the fans.

We’ve already been told that Final Fantasy VII Remake‘s development is making “considerable progress,” and it is headed first to the PS4.

[Source: OPM UK via GamesRadar]