E3 2017 – Marvel’s Spider-Man Lets You Free Roam in the City, Footage Was Running on a PS4 Pro
With Marvel’s Spider-Man (formerly known as Spider-Man PS4) gameplay revealed, developer Insomniac Games has confirmed on Twitter that “you can free roam in the city,” and the footage shown off at E3 2017 was running on a PS4 Pro.
Discussing Marvel’s Spider-Man with Geoff Keighley on YouTube Live last night, Creative Director Bryan Intihar explained just how open world the game is:
As soon as you load up the game, you can go everywhere, right? It’s open. We’re not hiding parts of city… When he was chasing the helicopter, that’s our city. You can swing around in it as much as you want… The idea is that no obstacle should be in your way.
Intihar later said, “It is a unique universe – this is not based on any of the movies or a comic series – this is a brand new universe that we’ve created alongside Marvel.” He also confirmed that Peter Parker is 23 in the game, and the footage from E3 2017 takes place “early on in the game,” after Spider-Man’s taken down Wilson Fisk.
Insomniac Games also answered several questions on Twitter, and we’ve put the answers below:
- “Swinging is all physics based and the webs attach to buildings”
- It’s Peter Parker in the suit, and there’s “More Easter Eggs to be found in the trailer”
- The white emblem is “explained in the game and has a purpose”
- Asked to narrow down the 2018 release window, they said, “No timeframe within 2018 has been announced”
- Asked why it’s coming next year, they replied, “Gonna take as much time as we need to make the best Spider-Man experience possible!”
- “It runs great on a regular PS4 as well”
- Asked about a Resistance reboot, they said, “Nothing in the works but never say never!”
- While you can free roam around Manhattan, “obviously some missions may have requirements”
The description for Marvel’s Spider-Man was revealed by Sony as well:
Starring one of the world’s most iconic Super Heroes, Spider-Man features the acrobatic abilities, improvisation and web-slinging that the wall-crawler is famous for, while also introducing elements never-before-seen in a Spider-Man game. From traversing with parkour and unique environmental interactions, to new combat and cinematic blockbuster set pieces, it’s Spider-Man unlike any you’ve played before.
Sony Interactive Entertainment, Insomniac Games, and Marvel have teamed up to create a brand-new and authentic Spider-Man adventure. This isn’t the Spider-Man you’ve met before, or seen in a movie. This is an experienced Peter Parker who’s more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he’s struggling to balance his chaotic personal life and career while the fate of millions of New Yorkers rest upon his shoulders.
- Be Spider-Man – An experienced Spider-Man with several years of crime fighting under his belt, Peter Parker has sheer mastery of his powerful spider-sense, dynamic skills, acrobatic abilities, and new suit.
- Original Story – An all-new Spider-Man universe featuring familiar characters in unfamiliar roles. Peter Parker deals with his complex dual life as a young adult with great powers, discovering how his many relationships evolve.
- Blockbuster Action in an Open World – Swing freely through Marvel’s New York City as Spider-Man via cinematic set-pieces filled with a rich narrative and relatable characters.
What are your thoughts on Marvel’s Spider-Man so far?