Final Fantasy XIV Servers Hit by DDoS Attack, New Update Fixes Game Issues
If you picked up Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood and have been having problems accessing the game, Square Enix revealed that the game has been the target of several DDoS attacks over the last few days.
We have confirmed that since Jun. 16th, we have been experiencing DDoS attacks from an anonymous third-party targeting the Final Fantasy XIV game servers on the NA data center.
Our technical staff is taking every possible measure to address this issue but the attack is still continuing to take place by changing their methods at every moment. We will continue to monitor and work on recovery from every possible angle.
Due to the DDoS attack, which attempts to flood the network, players will experience disconnects and login difficulties. Square Enix says their “technical staff is continuing to work on countermeasures for this issue,” and add:
However, with the attack we are currently experiencing, only a massive number of access attempts are being made, so character data and personal information registered to our customers’ accounts are not in danger of being exposed.
While these issues are taking place, Square Enix has released a new Final Fantasy XIV hotfix designed to fix several other problems:
- The Louisoix World is now available as a selectable World.
- A countermeasure to prevent the system in charge of managing transfers from and to instances, from acting abnormally has been implemented.
- An issue with the main scenario quest “The Lord of the Revel” wherein if a player entered the duty while performing an emote, a client error would occasionally display upon the completion of the duty and then prevented the player from logging back in. Note: With this hotfix, we will be reverting back to the previous system where players were not be able to maintain their emote after leaving a duty. We will switch back to the current system at a late date once we are able to address the issue.
- An issue with “Shisui of the Violet Tides” wherein a certain status ailment would not occasionally disappear upon defeating the boss.
- An issue with the main scenario quest “Once More, to the Ruby Sea” wherein certain events such as server outages would prevent players from progressing with the quest.
- An issue with the main scenario quest “To Bend with the Wind” wherein if a player is attacked while viewing the cutscene, the cutscene would be canceled.
- An issue with the FATE “Keeping More Peace” in The Fringes wherein monsters would continuously spawn and prevent players from progressing with the FATE.
- An issue wherein the following actions could not be used via text commands when playing as a weaver, goldsmith, or leatherworker:
Hasty Touch II / Careful Synthesis III / Rapid Synthesis II / Prudent Touch / Focused Synthesis / Focused Touch / Initial Preparations / Specialty: Reinforce / Specialty: Refurbish / Specialty: Reflect
- An issue wherein the action Impulsive Appraisal II could not be used via text command when playing as a botanist.
- An issue with “Emanation” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
- An issue with the dark knight job quest “The Orphans and the Broken Blade” wherein the server would crash under certain conditions.
- An issue wherein emotes performed by nearby characters would occasionally cause a player’s game client to crash.
- An issue with the quest “Fathoms Below” wherein an NPC’s dialogue would appear in Japanese.
- An issue wherein the description for the samurai action “Hissatsu: Yaten” would be incorrect.
Have you been able to play Final Fantasy XIV since June 16?