Summers are usually a dry time for the gaming industry, as developers and publishers tend to aim for releases during the beginning and end of yearly cycles, but we were in luck this time around. Naughty Dog has been treating PlayStation 3 owners with a beta for its upcoming blockbuster, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, and boy has it been great. So much, in fact, that it’s become the most popular beta not only in recent memory, but EVER on a PlayStation platform.
Naughty Dog’s Arne Meyer has posted a list of statistics following the conclusion of the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta.
- Total unique Beta players: 1.53 million people
- Total kills: 1.9 billion
- Total Cash collected: 1.4 TRILLION dollars (that’s greater than the gross domestic product of Spain, the eleventh highest GDP in the world!)
- Total shots fired: 48 billion
- Total matches completed: 22 million
- Total time played: More than 362 years worth of matches
The beta’s vast library of customizable items, from weapons and attachments to characters and outfits, are great additions to the series, and have made extended play more rewarding. Uncharted 2 had a tendency to reward infrequently, but was still able to keep thousands of fans entertained for months, so it’s no surprise that its successor’s beta has been extremely popular.
If you’re one of the 1.53 million gamers who played the beta, will you be purchasing the full product later this year?