Perfectly on schedule, NPD Group has posted sales information for the month of July 2011, and the numbers aren’t anything to brag about. Summer has routinely been a soft spot for the gaming market, and 2011 hasn’t changed that. Hardware across the board saw a drop year-over-year, with digital sales making a strong run. In terms of software, the top 10 list may surprise you, so rather than try to explain it, how about we show you.
Below are the top 10 most sold games in July 2011, along with each game’s publisher in parenthesis.
1. NCAA Football 12 (Electronic Arts)
2. Cars (Disney Interactive Studios)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios)
5. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 (Take 2 Interactive)
7. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Majesco)
8. Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks)
9. New Super Mario Bros DS (Nintendo)
10. Mortal Kombat 2011 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
Black Ops has remarkably been able to stay on and near the top of sales charts since its release last November. Meanwhile, Catherine is nowhere to be seen on the list despite being considered the big game of July. Atlus recently celebrated achieving 200,000 sales with their latest title in its first week, but it appears that it had trouble keeping momentum through the month.
On the bright side, a variety of high-profile games are on the horizon, and the market is sure to see some serious numbers in the immediate future. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is only weeks away, and will be accompanied by several intriguing PlayStation 3 titles in September. Stay tuned.