Very shortly after announcing that The Amazing Spider-Man would be coming to PlayStation Vita this November, Activision and Beenox revealed that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will release next spring alongside the movie for PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, 3DS, and PC.
Building on the story of The Amazing Spider-Man, this sequel will feature an “alternative take on the events of the upcoming movie, while also giving players an enhanced, free-roaming web-slinging experience through a greatly expanded New York City.” The press release further goes on to state that “players once again assume the role of the iconic Super Hero in a unique side-story inspired by the feature film but set in its own continuity.”
Thomas Wilson, Co-Studio Head at Beenox, talked a little about the game:
The first The Amazing Spider-Man game gave players their own beautifully animated, free-roaming city of Manhattan to traverse and explore – a playground of majestic scale in which to live out our common hero fantasies. And the overwhelming message from fans was: ‘MORE!’ That’s what our team is working toward with The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – we’re giving gamers more abilities, more upgrades, more challenges, and more freedom to progress. And with the game launching alongside the new movie, offering an expanded interactive experience beyond the film, fans of the franchise won’t want to miss playing it.
You can also expect a new ‘Hero or Menace’ system, which rewards you for your crime-fighting efforts, or adds consequences for letting bad guys get away with crimes.
The Beenox Twitter account posted some details about the game as well, which you can read below:
- When it comes to the PS4 and PS3 versions, “Story, characters and gameplay will be the same.”
- There are no plans for a PS Vita version at this time, “But as you may remember, we didn’t plan to release a Vita version of the first game either.”
- The reason it isn’t coming to Vita is because “We have to support other platforms (including new platforms) and don’t have the time or resources to do it properly.”
- They tried a first-person view for swinging around New York, but “It’s a big no. Motion sickness at its best!”
- The story of the game revolves around Peter hunting down Uncle Ben’s killer.
- Peter’s appearance will change automatically throughout the game.
- While you do play as Peter Parker and have to do some investigative journalism, “you will not only take pictures.”
- “Webs will now attach to buildings. You can’t webswing over Central Park. No more webs-in-the-skies nonsense.”
- You will be able to use various web fluids, such as sticky web, impact web and cryo web.
- “You will be able to use different kinds of web fluids, in combat and in navigation.”
- When web slinging, you need to use both triggers (likely L2/R2 on PlayStation).
Are you thinking of picking up The Amazing Spider-Man 2? For which system? Let us know in the comments below.