Taking a live tour through The Reef, the brand new social space that will serve a key location for the House of Wolves story and allows you to pick up new bounties, missions, and gear, Bungie’s stream also talked about the following:
- Petra Venj will be the main story agent who will lead you through quests and story missions, rewarding you for hunting down members of the House of Wolves
- The new mode, Prison of Elders, is a co-operative battle arena. Variks, a Fallen from the House of Judgement, is the Prison warden, and players will be able to acquire new gear from him through playing the new mode
- Trials of Osiris, the other new mode introduced in House of Wolves, is a weekly competitive special event which will run Friday to Tuesday, and players will be able to get new rewards and supplies via the mode’s emissary Brother Vance, Disciple of Osiris
- Bounties, Vaults, and Postmaster will be accessible in The Reef
- Any legendary or exotic weapon or armor will be upgradeable to full attack and defense
As Polygon highlights, to upgrade your Legendary piece of equipment to Level 34, you’ll need to collect a new resource called Etheric Light, which you can get in Prison of Elders and Trials of Osiris, with occasional drops happening during Nightfall runs and the Iron Banner event. For Exotic equipment to ascend, you’ll need an Exotic Shard, as well as other resources.
Taking feedback from the community, House of Wolves changes the game’s economy to make upgrades as simple as possible. By visiting the Speaker in the Tower, you’ll be able to buy Shards for Motes of Light, or trade Shards for Energies.
If you don’t buy the House of Wolves expansion, you’ll still receive access to The Reef and be able to upgrade your equipment.
House of Wolves launches on May 19 for all platforms.