Due to issues with the update, Metal Gear Online may be unavailable for a few hours:
Speaking with Sony MGO might not be available till as late as 3PM PT. We appreciate your patience and continue to work to reinstate the game
— Metal Gear Online (@MetalGearOnline) December 17, 2015
Available today on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PC, and Xbox One (the Xbox 360 version has been delayed until later), the latest Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain update adds new features, while also bringing Metal Gear Online to version 1.02.
The December Update, it includes new FOB events, gear, challenges, weapons, and much more, as you can see in the patch notes:
Custom FOB camera and mine placement
- Is your FOB vulnerable in places you can’t seem to secure? Now you can catch your enemy off guard by placing cameras and mines in custom locations! Stroll through your FOBs and place surveillance cameras on walls and landmines on the ground, exactly where you want them. Place devices in unpredictable locations to create your ideal security setup. Cover those blind spots and get the drop on intruders like never before.
FOB Mission Event: The Skulls Attack
- An emergency contract has come in from a private FOB force taken over by Skull Face’s covert unit, the Skulls! Engage this new mission Event FOB and cleanse the world of Skull Face’s legacy.
Raiden and Cyborg Ninja outfits available in FOBs
- Metal Gear fan-favorites, Raiden and Cyborg Ninja, are now available in FOB Missions as compatible outfits. Each outfit provides the wearer with superhuman abilities, which makes it an interesting addition both when using and defending against their power!
- Additional rewards are now available for completing various in-game Challenge Tasks. New Challenge Tasks range from beginner to advanced letting players choose which task suits their progression. Completed tasks can help players hone their skills as they tackle different ways to play, or test their mettle with rigorous assignments best left to the bold.
Security Challenge: Advanced Player FOB missions
- Think your FOB is an impregnable fortress? Is there no FOB you can’t sneak your way through? New FOB Security Challenges have arrived to put advanced players to task in new demanding ways! Prepare your FOB for the ultimate test then option into the new Security Challenge system, inviting the best players to wage war against your defenses. Or, take the offensive and invade Security Challenge enabled FOBs for a decisive contest. With this new setting applied, defenders are immediately notified when a player begins infiltrating the FOB, maximizing the infiltration risk. Whatever the results, no retaliatory wormholes will open in return, and players on both sides are secured greater rewards than a normal battle. Jump into the new Security Challenges and prove your worth on the battlefield.
Newly added Grade 9 weapons shake up mission tactics!
The weapons keep advancing! A brand new unique arsenal of tactical options have been added with the introduction of Grade 9 (★9) development! In addition to greater fire power, some of these weapons also utilize interesting exclusive abilities. Check out the weapon descriptions below, then try them out in the field to add a new level of strategy when approaching missions.
- Arms Material Alpha 114 Riot Pistol – Single-shot tranquilizer gas handgun. A compact non-lethal weapon used for delivering an immobilization agent from a distance. Each round disperses gas upon impact, for immediate effect across a small area. Has a slow rate of fire since each round must be loaded manually.
- Molotok-68 Anti-Materiel Rifle – 12.7mm anti-materiel rifle. A large-caliber sniper rifle with an extremely long effective range and devastating power and penetration. Has a slow rate of fire due to its bolt-action mechanism.
- Wormhole Generator – Place the generator and activate from a distance to instantly warp to that location.
Earn new rewards with Event Points
- New, uniquely acquired rewards are now available through our Event Point system! Complete specific tasks in FOB/Event FOB missions to earn Event Points which can be exchanged for previously unobtainable rewards.
New customization feature, Nameplates have been added
- Players can now set a nameplate to accompany their unit emblem and status!The nameplates features various characters from the game, and it can be obtained by trading your Event Points. As mentioned above, Event Points can be earned by successfully completing various FOB missions.The main condition on earning these nameplates is to successfully infiltrate the core FOB base of an active defender for a specified amount of time. So show off your stealth skills to your rivals and wear your nameplate like a badge of honor!
New colors and camo patterns added to FOBs
- Make your FOBs stand out with additional colors and camo patterns. Utilize the new combat fatigues to infiltrate player FOBs and blend in with their custom base designs.
- In response to overwhelming fan request, we’ve included additional emblems featuring story characters, buddies, and other elements.
Unlockable Fourth FOB
- Players can now construct a fourth FOB, and even greater expand your Mother Base operations. Additional FOBs provide much higher maximum staff capacity and improve unit functions.
Other update features
- It’s now possible to add players you want to support directly from your friends list.
- Added diversified ranking conditions and set time period functionality to rankings to broaden comparative stats.
- Added a tab that allows you to matchmake with players of a higher rank than you.
- Implemented various other improvements, balance adjustments, and bug fixes.
- Adjusted mission score parameters.
As for Metal Gear Online version 1.02, you’ll find a number of bug fixes, the selection of a new host when a host leaves the game, more match settings, Titles and Medals being given out as awards, user markers, balancing adjustments, and more.
You can see the full list of patch notes for MGO 1.02 over here.
Additionally, Konami confirmed that new DLC is planned for Metal Gear Online, including new maps, Survival, and more. Expect further details in the future.
If you missed the news yesterday, Hideo Kojima has formed a new studio, with their first game set to debut on PlayStation 4.
Metal Gear Solid V Update Adds New Features, Brings Metal Gear Online to Version 1.02