Last week’s PSLS Help Desk touched on replacing your PS4 hard drive, something that we’ve covered a few times over the years that the PS4 has been out. This time, we added the new slim model to the mix, and with the release of the PS4 Pro this week, we’re guiding you through upgrading the stock 1 TB hard drive to something a little bigger. If you don’t own a PS4 Pro yet, you may want to check out our review of Sony’s claimed “most powerful console available,” and if you need a 4K TV to go along with all that power, Keri’s got you covered with a 4K TV buying guide.
On to the task at hand! Replacing the PS4 Pro hard drive is quite similar to the standard PS4 and PS4 Slim once you get the enclosure out of the casing. The trick is locating the hard drive. As with the standard replacement, you will need the following items:
- PS4 Pro
- 1 Phillips screwdriver
- 1 2.5-inch SATA HDD
- 1 PC with an internet connection (to download the OS for reinstall)
- 1 USB flash drive (with at least 8GB of free space, for the OS reinstall)
- 1 External hard drive with a USB connector (for the backup)
Upgrading PS4 Pro Hard Drive
- Locate the plastic hard drive panel on the rear right side of the PS4 Pro system, and remove using the tab on the left side of the panel.
- Locate the screw that is above the exposed hard drive enclosure and carefully remove it.
- Use the two metal tabs to pull the hard drive enclosure out of the PS4 Pro.
- Locate and remove the four screws holding the hard drive into the enclosure.
- Replace the old hard drive with new one of your choice, reattaching to the enclosure with the same four screws.
- Insert the hard drive enclosure back into the PS4 Pro and secure with the single screw at the top of the enclosure.
- Replace the plastic hard drive bay cover.
- Power on the PS4 Pro, reinstall the OS onto the new hard drive, restore your backed up data, and enjoy your new larger hard drive on your new more powerful system, and make sure to let us know how you are enjoying it.
Keep in mind that if you are upgrading from a standard PS4, you can also transfer all of your data from the original PS4 over to the PS4 Pro once the hard drive is installed.
How to Upgrade PS4 Pro Hard Drive - PSLS Help Desk