The PlayStation 4 is generally region free, but it doesn’t mean that some codes or physical copies of games don’t have a region lock on them. Region 3 (Asia) in particular produces numerous games that are region locked and never localized for Europe or North America. But do not fret; there is a rather easy solution to this quandary, and it will only take a few minutes of your time. All you need to do is create a new PSN ID in that region. I recently tried this out for myself, and I’m amazed how simple this really was.
Creating a Different Region PSN Account
What you’ll need before you begin: a real email address you already aren’t using with a PSN account and a valid address in the particular region. For the purposes of this tutorial, we will use Region 3.
- Log out of your main account on your PS4.
- Click “New User” from the following screen after logging out.
- Click “Create a user” and agree to the Terms of Service.
- Click “New to PSN? Create an account” at the bottom of the screen.
- Click “Sign up now”
- Choose country in your region. If you choose Japan, be prepared for reading Japanese. In that case, I shall direct you to our lovely “How to Make a Japanese PSN ID in 60 Seconds” video. I chose Hong Kong.
- Select language from the drop-down list available (Hong Kong allows English).
- Fill in your date of birth.
- Fill in the requested city and zip code information. With Hong Kong, all I needed was the city. Need help picking an address for your region? Pick an address from Frommer’s restaurant list. If you’re going to use Hong Kong, here’s the link to Frommer’s restaurants. For the city in Hong Kong, I went to Google maps and typed in the name of the restaurant of choice.
- Fill in a real email address and create a new password. Before you can redeem codes or make purchases in the PSN Store, you will have to verify the email address from your email account.
- Create a brand new PSN ID and a name.
- Go through the privacy settings and make any changes necessary.
- Accept the Terms of Service.
- Choose if you want to connect this account to Facebook.
- Buy a PlayStation Plus membership or skip it.
- Activate this system as your primary PS4. If you don’t, you won’t be able to play your new region games on your local PSN account.
- Verify your email.
- Go to the PS Store and have fun!
Best part? You can switch over to your main PSN ID and play your new region games there. This is very important for the OCD gamers who want all of their saves and Trophies from one account in one place.
How to Create a PSN Account Different Region