Square Enix is flipping the switch and letting everyone play Final Fantasy XIV for free on PlayStation 3 until the game’s servers are shut down on June 16, 2017.
The final “Free Login Campaign” for PS3 will start this May 1, 2017 and will last until the service ends. Full details straight from Square Enix can be seen below.
From Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:01 a.m. (PDT) to Thursday, June 15, 2017 until the start of Stormblood early access maintenance
- Users that have registered the PlayStation®3 version of FINAL FANTASY XIV and play using the PlayStation®3
- Users with multiple platforms registered to one service account will only be eligible to play for free when logging in from the PlayStation®3
Notes Regarding the Free Login Campaign on PlayStation®3
- During the campaign period, players who have only registered the PlayStation®3 version without subscribing for any number of days will be unable to utilize additional services or website related features such as logging into the Lodestone.
- In the event players are eligible for multiple campaigns, the number of remaining days displayed will be for the current campaign only.
- Service accounts that have been canceled or suspended are not eligible to participate.
Those who play it for free and want to continue the FFXIV goodness, you can upgrade to the PS4 version free of charge via the upgrade campaign.
In accordance with the end of PlayStation®3 service, PlayStation®3 users will have the opportunity to upgrade to the PlayStation®4 version free of charge via the upgrade campaign. We hope players will take this opportunity to upgrade so that they may continue to enjoy exciting new adventures in FINAL FANTASY XIV.
*Please be aware that after transferring to the PlayStation®4 version, you will be unable to play using your current copy of the PlayStation®3 version.
Learn more about the upgrade campaign.
Furthermore, starting from Monday, May 1, 2017, it will no longer be possible to purchase game time, or retainer services, for service accounts containing only the PlayStation®3 version.
At least you’ll be able to continue your adventures on the PS4, right? If you’re joining this send off, dust off your PS3 and make sure to set a reminder this May 1.
[Source: Final Fantasy XIV]