Sitting at over one million active users per month, Titanfall 2 will receive an update on July 25 that adds a new 4-player co-op mode, Frontier Defense.
As Respawn explains on their website, Frontier Defense will be included in Operation Frontier Shield, the free Titanfall 2 DLC drop next Tuesday. Here’s what to expect from the new PvE horde mode:
- Co-op 4 player mode
- Defend your Harvester against 5 waves of increasingly difficult enemies
- Earn cash for defeating enemies that you can spend in between waves to purchase tools like Batteries, Arc Traps, Sentries, and more
- Choose from Easy/Regular/Hard/Master difficulty
- There will be an Insane difficulty as well that will exist in a separate tile as a Featured Mode
- New Titan Progression – Aegis Ranks: Earn Aegis Ranks by completing matches of Frontier Defense. Aegis Ranks can unlock powerful upgrades for your Titans, helping you succeed at higher difficulty levels. For now these Ranks will only apply to Frontier Defense
- New, challenging enemy types to battle
- 5 maps supported at launch: Homestead, Forwardbase Kodai, War Games, Rise, and Blackwater Canal. We are currently testing additional maps and will add more in future.
Operation Frontier Shield also includes the remastered Rise map and Township Live Fire map:
- Long sight lines and tight quarters dictate the battle in this abandoned desert reservoir. The towering, sheer walls and a system of convenient zip lines provide Pilots with means to get around quickly while Titans do battle in the long corridors below. Pilots can also set up ambushes in the guts of this complex pipeworks, while titans can lock down large sections of the battlefield at critical junctures. Tread carefully.
Live Fire Map: Township
- A new modular construction of a residential firefight. Cover is sparse for Pilots bold enough to leave the safety of a few houses. Windows and rooftops decide who controls the map, but dense interiors can always hold surprises.
In terms of paid content, you’ll be able to buy Elite Warpaints for weapons and Titans that provide XP boosts. The Warpaints for Titans will only be available until August 28.
If you’re still on the fence with Titanfall 2, another free trial will be running from July 28 through July 30 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It will let you try The Beacon single-player mission and give you full access to multiplayer.