Kojima Productions Producer: Metal Gear Solid: Rising Had Been Canceled
On Saturday at the SpikeTV Video Game Awards, Hideo Kojima revealed a new development studio (Platinum Games) and a new name (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) for the project formerly known as Metal Gear Solid: Rising. However, a new report says that before PlatinumGames had been working on the project, the Metal Gear spin-off starring Raiden had originally been canceled.
Producer Yuji Korekado was on the Hideraji podcast, where he discussed a number of details about the game’s cancellation. He said that the original MGS: Rising had been announced as a game where chopping up anything was possible. However, the development team felt that the concept wasn’t enough, and eventually the staff no longer had an idea of what the game’s core mechanics should be. Kojima had said at some point that the project probably wouldn’t have been able to have been completed, but team insisted that they could finish the game. In the end, MGS: Rising was canceled. Story and motion capture had been “fleshed out” at this point, though.
One day, PlatinumGames staff arrived at Kojima Productions and met Hideo Kojima. Platinum thought that the game being half-completed was unfortunate and were so excited about it that they became the new studio working on the project.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is in development for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.