Quantic Dream’s PS3 noir thriller Heavy Rain is set to hit store shelves on February 23rd and critics are already forecasting a storm of rave reviews. To prepare for its release, SCEA have released a Heavy Rain “fact sheet” detailing the game’s key features.
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Quantic Dream
Players: Single player
Launch Date: February 23, 2010
Rating: “M” for “Mature”
Developed by Quantic Dream, creators of the critically-acclaimed Indigo Prophecy for PlayStation®2 (PS2™), Heavy Rain is a Hollywood-style cinematic adventure that takes players on a journey through a dark and sophisticated film noir thriller. Exclusive to the PlayStation®3 (PS3™), Heavy Rain challenges the videogame convention by introducing original and innovative content that engages players emotionally, explores the potential of interactive storytelling, and creates a new gaming format for an adult audience.
Heavy Rain is an ambitious project that tells a complex story through contextual actions and realistic visuals. Embracing the idea of “interactive storytelling,” the game is built around an emotive and compelling proposition: ‘How far would you go to save someone you love?’ The game’s story changes based on each an individual’s actions, and each player will be faced with a variety of choices and consequences that will take them on an emotional rollercoaster. As players will discover throughout the game, the smallest actions can have dramatic consequences, as every act and decision will have a tangible impact on the fate of the characters.
- Emotional Experience – Player decisions are rooted in emotion, decision-making, and overall story. The game’s technology and realism help to engage emotional attachment as players progress through the game.
- Bending Storylines – ‘Bending Storylines’ heighten the immersion and tension, raising the stakes of players’ choices and actions and delivering a more engaging and immersive experience.
- Film Quality Narrative – Heavy Rain brings a high-quality story filled with tension, emotion, intrigue, and dramatic twists.
- Accessibility – Heavy Rain combines sophisticated themes/tone/content with intuitive gameplay that caters to casual as well as hardcore gaming fans.
- Hollywood Production Values – From the length of the script, to the musical score, to the number of hours of motion capture, Heavy Rain is a vast and ambitious project that delivers a true film noir feel as well as production values that rival a cinematic experience.
- An Auteur of Videogaming – Writer, director, and studio head David Cage is the vision behind Heavy Rain – pushing at the boundaries of video gaming with a new approach that places narrative and emotion at the forefront.