Earlier this month, developer Lab Zero Games revealed that Skullgirls Encore for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita will now be known as Skullgirls 2nd Encore.
Because the PS4 and PS Vita version is the “ultimate Skullgirls experience,” complete with new characters, modes, and features, they wanted to differentiate it a bit from Skullgirls Encore. Lab Zero also wanted to keep it familiar though, as Skullgirls 2nd Encore and Skullgirls Encore support cross-platform play across PS4, PS Vita, and PlayStation 3, allowing everyone to play against each other online.
However, while Skullgirls 2nd Encore will be cross-buy on PS4 and PS Vita, it won’t include cross-buy with Skullgirls Encore on PS3. As they explained, “We’re putting a lot of work into these versions so we can’t just give them away, but we think the new features and improvements will be worth the upgrade!”
Today, Lab Zero Games and Autumn Games revealed some of the other new features coming to Skullgirls 2nd Encore, which may make their way to PC as DLC, but nothing was mentioned about PS3.
Here’s the full list of features:
Fully-Voiced Story Mode
- Responding to fan demand, the story modes for Skullgirls 2nd Encore will be fully voiced! Featuring some of anime’s best and brightest, the new voices bring Skullgirls’ deep characters and lore to life.
- In challenges, players square off against opponents with a variety of unique battle conditions to test their mettle. Can you beat Big Band without jumping? Or defeat triple Doubles?
- Trials test players’ skills by having them to perform combos. Trials are built on a new button-by-button instructional system to make learning combos easier and more intuitive than ever.
- Furthermore, unlike many fighting game trials, Skullgirls 2nd Encore’s trials include combos frequently used in real play, from basic bread ‘n butter to more advanced combos.
- Skullgirls 2nd Encore’s new Survival Mode pits players against an endless procession of foes – how long can you last?
- The better you do, the more health you’ll recover between rounds. The longer you last, the harder your foes will become.
Full Platinum Trophy Set
- For all the trophy hunters out there, Skullgirls 2nd Encore will have a full Platinum trophy set.
- The 43 trophies will test players’ mastery of Skullgirls and the new content. Many of the previous trophies are returning, while others have been adjusted based on player feedback.
PlayStation Version: PlayStation 3 Peripheral Support
- Skullgirls 2nd Encore will support PlayStation 3 fight sticks on the PlayStation 4, thanks to the excellent work of our friend John “Cowboy” Bellomy. Just plug in your old stick and play!
Skullgirls 2nd Encore comes to PS4 and PS Vita in Summer 2015.