Destiny‘s update 2.1.0 is now live and with it comes the introduction of the game’s Sparrow Racing League. Revealed during Sony’s PlayStation Experience keynote over the weekend, Bungie has now confirmed that the mode will offer micro-transactions.
Announced via the studio’s blog, said micro-transactions will be featured Destiny‘s in-game store, the Eververse Trading Company, and the following wares will be available to purchase from today, December 8.
- New emotes to celebrate the thrill of speed and competition
- ToolKits that include stylish (but equally fast) Sparrows
- ToolKits that include Horns to let you signal your approach
- A new Record Book to provide more challenge and reward
- Complete challenges to earn vanity gear with 3 Light
- Collect an exclusive emblem and a shader
- Commemorate your SRL stats after the event is over
- SRL Helmets and Class Items acquired via the Record Book can be Infused to immortalize your status as a racing champion!
Marking a year since the studio rolled out The Dark Below as Destiny‘s maiden expansion pack, Sparrow Racing League represents a change of pace for Bungie and how it approaches the shooter’s post-launch content. As Senior Designer Derek Carroll reveals to Eurogamer, Guardians can expect more “event-based” content to replace standalone DLC packs in 2016.
With Taken King we are moving to a more event-based model – things like Festival of the Lost and Sparrow racing, which is our winter event, and then smaller events such as Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris every weekend. Rather than doing these giant, monolithic DLC packs, this way everybody who’s an owner of Taken King can enjoy these things.
To take a closer look at Sparrow Racing League, check out our gameplay videos from PSX 2015.