Children of Zodiarcs from indie developer Cardboard Utopia is officially heading to the PlayStation 4 on July 18, 2017, according to an announcement by Square Enix Collective, who is publishing the game.
According to developer Cardboard Utopia, Children of Zodiarcs aims to recapture and build upon what made tactical RPGs during the 16-bit and 32-bit eras so great. The game combines deck-building, dice-crafting, and grid-based tactical combat into a single story-driven experience.
Here’s an overview of the game:
Children of Zodiarcs is a story-driven, single-player deck & dice tactical RPG where strategy and controlled risk build tension, anticipation and excitement!
- Rich narrative content – The main story, side missions and optional narrative content of Children of Zodiarcs will unravel a tale of family, friendship and loyalty, revenge and compassion, and most of all, of survival and resilience.
- Unique, multi-layered strategical gameplay – New tactical opportunities rise at every turn thanks to the combination of unit positioning, card playing and dice rolling. Observation and adaptation are key to make the most of them and lead your party to victory!
- Customizable deck and dice – Thanks to the deck building and a dice crafting system, you are not at the mercy of the dreaded “random number generator”. By choosing which cards and dice you bring into battle for each of your characters, you can give them the fighting style you want to suit your own gameplay style.
- Physically simulated dice roll, and reroll – This is virtual dice rolling to the next level! You are in control of the timing and orientation of your dice throw. Rerolling also gives you a chance to optimize your results!
- And of course… Gorgeous music!
Children of Zodiarcs was inspired by a deep love of classic tactical RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics and Shining Force, as well as board games and collectible card games like Magic: The Gathering. The game’s dynamic system draws tension and anticipation from cards and dice. Your ability to adapt to the unexpected will be tested at every turn!
The story of Children of Zodiarcs will take you through a tale of rebellion, familial bonds, and unexpected wonders.
Infiltrating the chambers of a decadent noble, Nahmi and her fellow thieves intend to steal a priceless relic. But what awaits them is more than anyone bargained for.
Relentlessly pursued by city guards heavily armed with deadly Zodiarc weapons, they are forced to make a desperate escape through gilded palace chambers, sun-drenched slums and dank underground catacombs. As they battle rival bandit gangs and even a clan of subterranean cannibals, it becomes clear that they have only each other to depend on. To emerge victorious, they will need to trust one another and use everything at their disposal, making choices that no one should have to make.
Can a motley crew of outsiders survive this vicious world without sacrificing their own humanity?
As previously mentioned, Children of Zodiarcs is scheduled for release on July 18, 2017, for the PlayStation 4 and other platforms. Check out the trailer above.