During a recent livestream (archive can be found here), Monolith showed off the new in-game economy feature in Middle-earth: Shadow of War. In it, players will be able to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles that’ll allow players to level up Talion faster and get better gear. These will be able to be purchased with in-game currency, and with real money.
Here’s how the Warner Bros. describes the game’s new loot component of the Nemesis system via their blog:
An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).
Through the Market, players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection).
• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.
There are two ways to gain currency as players can earn Mirian by completing in-game actions, or purchase gold through the PlayStation Store (players will also occasionally get gold for “participating in community challenges). The full breakdown can be seen below, but it’s worth mentioning that nothing is gated by gold. That means everything can be earned without paying extra.
To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:
• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:
• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War is set to release October 10, 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It’ll also support the PlayStation 4 Pro.
(Source: Warner Bros.)