New Year’s Eve is just two weeks away, making this the prime time for reflection. Which titles were the best of 2018 when it came to gaming? We often look at sales numbers or awards given, but attention received is one of the most overlooked and undervalued indicators of success. And nothing got more attention this year than Fortnite. In fact, the Fortnite Season 5 announcement trailer was the most viewed video game trailer on YouTube in 2018.
(Re)experience the hype by watching the trailer that dominated the year below.
There was a lot of build-up leading to Season 5. Epic Games even did an elaborate promotional campaign, essentially making a scavenger hunt for fans to find Fortnite related items scattered throughout Europe.
Still, of all the Fortnite content to reach the top, it’s surprising that something cube related didn’t do the trick. Coming in at second highest was Fallout 76, which helps further contextualize the backlash following the game’s disappointing launch. (It continues to snowball with each new negative discovered.)
Below is a list of the top ten viewed game trailers on YouTube in 2018.
1. Fortnite Season 5 | Announce Trailer, 48.6M views
2. Fallout 76 – Official Trailer, 33.8M views
3. Red Dead Redemption 2: Official Trailer #3, 27.9M views
4. Clash of Clans: Hammer Jam!, 22.3M views
5. Clash Royale: Clan Wars is Here!, 20.3M views
6. DOOM Eternal – Official E3 Teaser, 13.4M views
7. Just One More | League of Legends, 12.2M views
8. [Minecraft] Update Aquatic – Dive in!, 12.4M views
9. GTA Online: After Hours, 10.6M views
10. Official Call of Duty Black Ops 4 – Blackout Introduction, 6.4M views
Fortnite Popularity Represented By It Having the Most Viewed Game Trailer