The Last of Us: First Proper Gameplay Details
During Sony’s E3 press conference, Sony showcased the first gameplay footage of The Last of Us, consequently revealing a slew of new information on the PlayStation 3 exclusive.
The footage gave light to several aspects we noticed, including the following:
- You Can interact with objects such as posters
- Water sound effects are commendable
- Voice acting is spot on
- Cover system
- Health bar on the top left hand side of the screen; however, it looks like health doesn’t regenerate
- Stealth attacks
- Ammo status shown on screen
- Brutal, slow take-downs
- Hand-to-hand combat/melee fighting reminiscent of Uncharted
- Reticle is smaller than usual, thus making it harder to shoot
- Enemies know if the player is out of ammo
- Bullet effect (wounds) feature realistic movement damage
- Ellie helps you in combat
- You can hold hostages
- You can combine items together
- Molitov cocktail is a weapon that can be used
Naughty Dog also released additional details of the game’s features:
- Intense character-driven narrative featuring a cast of resonant characters that take you on a rich, emotional journey via Naughty Dog’s award-winning cinematic storytelling, performance capture, and high-production values
- Explore a decimated, overgrown America reclaimed by nature, marked with remnants of human civilization juxtaposed against beautiful, lush environments, delivered by realistic and stunning graphics.
- Strategize how to survive enemy encounters as the Balance of Power AI system continuously adapts to whether Joel or the enemies gain the upper hand. Quickly maneuver to survive encounters as enemies will change their behavior based on what weapon they see Joel holding, how many of them are left alive, and whether the player has managed to surprise them.
- Learn how to survive day-by-day: scavenge for vital resources, craft weaponry out of environmental objects, and compete with other survivors for limited supplies and ammo.